Furacão
Registo
23 Jan 2007
Local
Braga
Foi um rumor:

The Phoenix flap
By Emily Lakdawalla

I love the Internet. Sitting here at home, I am hooked in to a worldwide network consisting of scientists and engineers working on active missions; of news and data, both raw and processed, coming out of those missions; of reporters, doing research and writing about those missions; and of enthusiasts, discussing all of the above, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Any time I go to my computer, day or night, weekday or weekend, I can find new data or discussions on dozens of different websites. Ordinarily, this is a good thing. But once in a while all this activity awakens a fearsome beast, the Internet rumor. Once started, an Internet rumor can grow wildly out of control so fast that it's almost impossible to figure out how it happened, and it's also almost impossible ever to entirely kill it, because no matter how wildly untrue a rumor may be, there is always some conspiracy theorist out there who will claim until death that it is fact and everyone else is in denial.

I'm saying all this, of course, because of this weekend's flap about Phoenix. Before I go on, let me state the actual story as I understand it, based on a NASA release issued just now:

* The Wet Chemistry Lab component of the MECA instrument has now analyzed two Mars soil samples. In both (I think), the MECA results indicate that one of the components of the soil may be an ion called perchlorate (ClO4-), which is an oxidizer. Oxidizers can do bad things to organic molecules, so its presence -- if confirmed -- would suggest that the past environment preserved in the soil at Phoenix' landing site was not conducive to life.
* HOWEVER, the TEGA instrument is also capable of detecting perchlorate. There have been two analyses of samples by TEGA. In one, the data could have been consistent either with the presence or absence of the perchlorate ion in the soil. In the other, the data suggested that perchlorate was NOT present.
* The Phoenix team is currently working -- but is not yet done with the process -- to rule out the possibility that the perchlorate detection by MECA could have resulted from contamination brought from Earth.

There. That's it. An interesting result from chemical analysis by one instrument that was contradicted (or at least not confirmed) by another one. Data from a spacecraft that's difficult to understand, causing (I assume) head-scratching and internal debate on the science team. They're no doubt hashing it out in their science meetings, tossing around possible interpretations, devising tests that the spacecraft can perform that can confirm or refute their interpretations. It's the scientific process in the middle of operating.

They didn't discuss this in Thursday's press briefing because there were no conclusions to discuss. Some things are easy -- for example, TEGA saw results that could really only be because they got some water ice into oven 0 -- and they can report those conclusions to the world immediately. But a lot of stuff is hard to interpret, so the results don't get reported right away. In fact, this perchlorate detection-but-not-detection is one of the type that might not have gotten reported until around 6 months after the end of the primary mission, which is around the time frame you'd expect to see the first peer-reviewed publications come out about the mission.

Somehow, though, late last week, this non-story blew up on the Internet into the possible detection of life on Mars. How did that happen? The Phoenix team was minding its own business, doing, in my opinion, a good job with public communication. There are the raw images being delivered to the Phoenix website, which you can also see somewhat later in a more user-friendly format on the Texas A & M website and on The Planetary Society website. There are text and image updates posted nearly daily to the Phoenix websites at the University of Arizona and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Some of these are just web updates, while others are also sent out by email to news organizations as press releases. There are other sites like Twitter and Facebook for less formal discussions. For reporters who want in-depth news, there's a pretty quick turnaround by the public information officers for interview requests with mission personnel (at least that's my experience), and once in a while there's something newsworthy enough that the Phoenix mission holds a press briefing via television or telephone conference call.

These are all official channels for information. Of course, there are also unofficial channels. Reporters are always in communication with people in mission press offices and people on science and engineering teams. Reporters who have been in the business for a while often have friends inside mission operations, people they're on good terms with, who can be trusted to comment on or off the record to clarify a story or to give a heads up that something interesting is coming down the pipeline. These relationships are terribly important for good reporters, people who want to do more than rewrite official press releases. They work great as long as the reporter respects the source's desire to keep some things on the record and some things off the record, and as long as the information offered by the source is true. Nobody's perfect, though, and once in a while something gets in print that shouldn't, either because it really wasn't ready for public discussion, or because it's just not true, the result of an error either by the source or by the reporter.

One of these things happened last week (though I don't know where in the process the error happened). Craig Covault reported in Aviation Week that "The White House has been alerted by NASA about plans to make an announcement soon on major new Phoenix lander discoveries concerning the 'potential for life' on Mars, scientists tell Aviation Week & Space Technology." Many people -- including, I must admit, me -- took this sentence to mean that a special briefing had taken place, alerting the White House to some positive news about life on Mars.

Other outlets ran with this story, re-reporting it as a direct briefing of the President (Covault had only reported a briefing of the President's Science Advisor, which is very different). I think that everyone who read that thought the same thing, that it implied some announcement was forthcoming with positive news about life on Mars. Why would the President be briefed if it was news about life on Mars being unlikely? And how could the mission be so quick to report a negative result -- it's very hard to prove a negative? As stated, the facts only seemed to add up if there really was something interesting in the pipeline. Covault is a highly respected, knowledgeable, experienced reporter on space exploration, so there was no reason to distrust anything he wrote.

The problem is that no special briefing happened. Without that, the "discovery concerning the potential for life' is suddenly much less interesting. The main goal of the Phoenix mission is to study the potential for past habitable environments on Mars; pretty much any measurement made by TEGA or MECA has some bearing on that question.

There's going to be a press briefing tomorrow at 11 a.m. my time, because there's been so much discussion and so much misinformation out there. I'll report on that when it happens, though I think it's probably going to be a somewhat annoying thing to report on, as it seems aren't any real results to discuss, just the absence of conclusions. And I'll make this the topic of my Wednesday UStream chat, because I'm sure you all have more questions.

In the end, I believe that this whole flap will teach us little about the past habitability of Mars. But there's a chance to use it to teach people about how the scientific process works, and what happens when scientists are confronted with apparently contradictory data.

http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00001586/

rbsmr

Nimbostratus
Registo
6 Ago 2007
Local
Cabeça Gorda, Torres Vedras (140m)
Sonda Phoenix encontra substância tóxica no solo marciano
-Suspeita de contaminação pelo combustível da sonda ou elemento natural?-

Texto integral em inglês

Tradução disponível através do Babelfish

Paulo H

Cumulonimbus
Registo
2 Jan 2008
Local
Castelo Branco 386m(489/366m)

Uau..

Marte não pára de nos intrigar com estranhas formas! A forma é realmente humanóide, o que não significa que o tenha sido, claro! Mas é impressionante aquela simetria e as cavidades dos supostos "olhos".. O "crâneo" já não me parece assemelhar-se muito nos contornos, mas pronto.. (Não teria de ser obrigatoriamente da espécie homo sapiens sapiens ). Falta aqui uma escala para sabermos o tamanho também!

Formas humanóides é o que mais se pode encontrar pelo nosso planeta, tanto sejam rochas como padrões de cores e texturas em superfícies, sombras, folhagens, que nos parecem muitas vezes rostos e formas humanóides ou não.

O nosso cérebro "forma" objectos associando padrões quer sejam linhas, pontos, circulos, cores.. Não são necessários todos os pormenores visuais para que se observe um objecto. Na realidade, nós não observamos o que vemos mas sim observamos o que interpretamos ver, daí as inúmeras ilusões ópticas que já todos conhecemos e nos impressionam por vezes de forma inacreditável.

Vince

Furacão
Registo
23 Jan 2007
Local
Braga
A imagem não é da Phoenix, ainda é da Spirit tirada o ano passado.
A original:
http://marsrovers.nasa.gov/gallery/all/2/p/513/2P171912249EFFAAL4P2425R1M1.HTML

Formas humanóides é o que mais se pode encontrar pelo nosso planeta, tanto sejam rochas como padrões de cores e texturas em superfícies, sombras, folhagens, que nos parecem muitas vezes rostos e formas humanóides ou não.

O nosso cérebro "forma" objectos associando padrões quer sejam linhas, pontos, circulos, cores.. Não são necessários todos os pormenores visuais para que se observe um objecto. Na realidade, nós não observamos o que vemos mas sim observamos o que interpretamos ver, daí as inúmeras ilusões ópticas que já todos conhecemos e nos impressionam por vezes de forma inacreditável.

Exacto.

Tudo da natureza.

34501318bz4.jpg

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...45,-110.113746&spn=0.006205,0.018797&t=h&z=16

44643247qk8.jpg

49418763yj7.jpg

Vince

Furacão
Registo
23 Jan 2007
Local
Braga
Será?? :p :w00t: as primeiras 3 imagens ainda me convecem mas a ultima!!hum lol

Os dust devils são frequentes em Marte, foi graças a eles que as missões dos rovers Spirit e Opportunity ainda duram até hoje, muito para além do previsto, graças ao vento provocado pelos dust devils que de vez em quando tem limpado a poeira dos painéis solares.

123624main_dust_devil_mars_web.jpg

miguel

Furacão
Registo
4 Fev 2006
Local
Setúbal
Os dust devils são frequentes em Marte, foi graças a eles que as missões dos rovers Spirit e Opportunity ainda duram até hoje, muito para além do previsto, graças ao vento provocado pelos dust devils que de vez em quando tem limpado a poeira dos painéis solares.

Estamos sempre a aprender :D os aspiradores sempre deram muito jeitinho :p :lol:

Vince

Furacão
Registo
23 Jan 2007
Local
Braga
Neve em Marte detectada na atmosfera de Marte embora se vaporize antes de chegar à superfície.

NASA Mars Lander Sees Falling Snow, Soil Data Suggest Liquid Past

Martian sunrise This sequence of nine images taken by NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander shows the sun rising on the morning of the lander's 101st Martian day after landing. Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/University of Arizona/Texas A&M University
Full image and caption
Latest images and 3D images
Animations and videos PASADENA, Calif. -- NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander has detected snow falling from Martian clouds. Spacecraft soil experiments also have provided evidence of past interaction between minerals and liquid water, processes that occur on Earth.

A laser instrument designed to gather knowledge of how the atmosphere and surface interact on Mars has detected snow from clouds about 4 kilometers (2.5 miles) above the spacecraft's landing site. Data show the snow vaporizing before reaching the ground.

"Nothing like this view has ever been seen on Mars," said Jim Whiteway, of York University, Toronto, lead scientist for the Canadian-supplied Meteorological Station on Phoenix. "We'll be looking for signs that the snow may even reach the ground."

Phoenix experiments also yielded clues pointing to calcium carbonate, the main composition of chalk, and particles that could be clay. Most carbonates and clays on Earth form only in the presence of liquid water.

"We are still collecting data and have lots of analysis ahead, but we are making good progress on the big questions we set out for ourselves," said Phoenix Principal Investigator Peter Smith of the University of Arizona, Tucson.

Since landing on May 25, Phoenix already has confirmed that a hard subsurface layer at its far-northern site contains water-ice. Determining whether that ice ever thaws would help answer whether the environment there has been favorable for life, a key aim of the mission.

The evidence for calcium carbonate in soil samples from trenches dug by the Phoenix robotic arm comes from two laboratory instruments called the Thermal and Evolved Gas Analyzer, or TEGA, and the wet chemistry laboratory of the Microscopy, Electrochemistry and Conductivity Analyzer, or MECA.

"We have found carbonate," said William Boynton of the University of Arizona, lead scientist for the TEGA. "This points toward episodes of interaction with water in the past."

The TEGA evidence for calcium carbonate came from a high-temperature release of carbon dioxide from soil samples. The temperature of the release matches a temperature known to decompose calcium carbonate and release carbon dioxide gas, which was identified by the instrument's mass spectrometer.

The MECA evidence came from a buffering effect characteristic of calcium carbonate assessed in wet chemistry analysis of the soil. The measured concentration of calcium was exactly what would be expected for a solution buffered by calcium carbonate.

Both TEGA, and the microscopy part of MECA, have turned up hints of a clay-like substance. "We are seeing smooth-surfaced, platy particles with the atomic-force microscope, not inconsistent with the appearance of clay particles," said Michael Hecht, MECA lead scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

The Phoenix mission, originally planned for three months on Mars, now is in its fifth month. However, it faces a decline in solar energy that is expected to curtail and then end the lander's activities before the end of the year. Before power ceases, the Phoenix team will attempt to activate a microphone on the lander to possibly capture sounds on Mars.

"For nearly three months after landing, the sun never went below the horizon at our landing site," said Barry Goldstein, JPL Phoenix project manager. "Now it is gone for more than four hours each night, and the output from our solar panels is dropping each week. Before the end of October, there won't be enough energy to keep using the robotic arm."

The Phoenix mission is led by Smith at the University of Arizona. Project management is the responsibility of JPL with development partnership by Lockheed Martin in Denver. International contributions come from the Canadian Space Agency; the University of Neuchatel, Switzerland; the universities of Copenhagen and Aarhus, Denmark; Max Planck Institute, Germany; and the Finnish Meteorological Institute.

More information about Phoenix is at http://www.nasa.gov/phoenix .

*Dave*

Nimbostratus
Registo
29 Jun 2008
Local
ASM (Idanha-a-Nova) - Covilhã
O fim anunciado da Phoenix

Ao fim de poucos meses, a missão da sonda americana Phoenix está prestes a terminar. Habituados como estamos à duradoura prestação dos dois rovers (Spirit e Opportunity), este facto pode provocar alguma estranheza. Contudo, não existem razões para tal: a posição da sonda na superfície de Marte não lhe permite resistir muito mais tempo, já que o Sol mergulha para o horizonte e as temperaturas baixam, trazendo o gelo (ou melhor, os gelos, de água e de dióxido de carbono) que há-de encerrar a sonda num túmulo branco. Mas até lá, a sonda prossegue na sua missão, analisando amostras de solo e perscrutando o que se passa na atmosfera marciana.
Foi assim que foi detectada a formação e queda de neve a cerca de 4 km de altitude; porém, até agora, não parece haver evidências de que essa neve tenha atingido o solo do planeta vermelho. Quanto ao solo, foi anunciado que tinha sido identificada a presença de partículas de carbonatos – outra prova, se necessário fosse, do papel que a água desempenhou no passado do planeta. Convém referir, ainda assim, que estas minúsculas partículas podem ter tido origem noutra região do planeta, e que a sua idade é de todo desconhecida.
Entretanto, a câmara MARDI, de que se fala noutra peça, vai ser usada para obter imagens detalhadas da área sob a sonda em que há gelo exposto (consequência da aterragem, feita com recurso a pequenos jactos) e muito provavelmente também para tentar perceber a natureza dos grãos que se acumularam na estrutura do trem de aterragem da Phoenix, e que parecem crescer e mudar de posição ao longo do tempo.
foto1561.jpg

Fonte: http://www.portaldoastronomo.org/noticia.php?id=751

Vince

Furacão
Registo
23 Jan 2007
Local
Braga
A Phoenix desde há vários dias que não envia dados. A missão acabou como era inevitável.

landergoodbyesl7.jpg

(imagem artística)

Mars Phoenix Lander Finishes Successful Work On Red Planet

November 10, 2008 -- NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander has ceased communications after operating for more than five months. As anticipated, seasonal decline in sunshine at the robot's arctic landing site is not providing enough sunlight for the solar arrays to collect the power necessary to charge batteries that operate the lander's instruments.

Mission engineers last received a signal from the lander on Nov. 2. Phoenix, in addition to shorter daylight, has encountered a dustier sky, more clouds and colder temperatures as the northern Mars summer approaches autumn. The mission exceeded its planned operational life of three months to conduct and return science data.

The project team will be listening carefully during the next few weeks to hear if Phoenix revives and phones home. However, engineers now believe that is unlikely because of the worsening weather conditions on Mars. While the spacecraft's work has ended, the analysis of data from the instruments is in its earliest stages.

"Phoenix has given us some surprises, and I'm confident we will be pulling more gems from this trove of data for years to come," said Phoenix Principal Investigator Peter Smith of the University of Arizona in Tucson.

Launched Aug. 4, 2007, Phoenix landed May 25, 2008, farther north than any previous spacecraft to land on the Martian surface. The lander dug, scooped, baked, sniffed and tasted the Red Planet's soil. Among early results, it verified the presence of water-ice in the Martian subsurface, which NASA's Mars Odyssey orbiter first detected remotely in 2002. Phoenix's cameras also returned more than 25,000 pictures from sweeping vistas to near the atomic level using the first atomic force microscope ever used outside Earth.

"Phoenix not only met the tremendous challenge of landing safely, it accomplished scientific investigations on 149 of its 152 Martian days as a result of dedicated work by a talented team," said Phoenix Project Manager Barry Goldstein at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

Phoenix's preliminary science accomplishments advance the goal of studying whether the Martian arctic environment has ever been favorable for microbes. Additional findings include documenting a mildly alkaline soil environment unlike any found by earlier Mars missions; finding small concentrations of salts that could be nutrients for life; discovering perchlorate salt, which has implications for ice and soil properties; and finding calcium carbonate, a marker of effects of liquid water.

Phoenix findings also support the goal of learning the history of water on Mars. These findings include excavating soil above the ice table, revealing at least two distinct types of ice deposits; observing snow descending from clouds; providing a mission-long weather record, with data on temperature, pressure, humidity and wind; observations of haze, clouds, frost and whirlwinds; and coordinating with NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter to perform simultaneous ground and orbital observations of Martian weather.

"Phoenix provided an important step to spur the hope that we can show Mars was once habitable and possibly supported life," said Doug McCuistion, director of the Mars Exploration Program at NASA Headquarters in Washington. "Phoenix was supported by orbiting NASA spacecraft providing communications relay while producing their own fascinating science. With the upcoming launch of the Mars Science Laboratory, the Mars Program never sleeps."

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/11_10_pr.php