Estado
Fechado para novas mensagens.

Ferreiro

Nimbostratus
Registo
3 Dez 2010
Local
A Corunha
Also to come back to the topic I would like to ask our friends here a question,on what area you believe will be the first in Europe to hit an official 50C and if possible when??;)

My research suggest that the strongest candidates in Europe are the following

1.Athens basin
2. Murcia plains
3.Catania plains
4.Amareleja area
5.Guadalquivir valley

Isto é típico de uma criança.
É completamente absurdo. Nenhuma cidade europea pode alcançar 50ºC.
Maior sentido sería apostar pela proxima cidade en chegar a 45ºC. Nao sei, mas acho que Atenas-Elefsina leva ja 3 anos sem tocar os 40ºC, impossivel tal coisa nos outros casos.

Amending

Cirrus
Registo
14 Mar 2011
Local
Italia
Isto é típico de uma criança.
É completamente absurdo. Nenhuma cidade europea pode alcançar 50ºC.
Maior sentido sería apostar pela proxima cidade en chegar a 45ºC. Nao sei, mas acho que Atenas-Elefsina leva ja 3 anos sem tocar os 40ºC, impossivel tal coisa nos outros casos.

Perhaps you are underrating the temperature boosting power of urban heat islands, in particular the UHI of Athens that is very strong indeed in the summer. The city of Athens is characterized by it.

During August 2009, a temperature data-logger installed in Peristeri for a study about Athens' UHI recorded a montly average of tmax equal to 40.6°C

Código:
[FONT="Courier New"][B]Table 5. Mean max monthly and s.d. air temperature values for all stations (June, July and August).

Area                Station        June               July               August[/B]
Center of the city
                Athens Un.         33.9 ± 2.65        35.1 ± 2.95        31.9 ± 1.96

Northern part   N. Erythrea        30.8 ± 2.79        32.4 ± 3.16        31.4 ± 2.63
                Ano Liossia        31.6 ± 2.97        33.8 ± 2.92        32.0 ± 2.10
                Kamatero           33.6 ± 2.61        35.3 ± 3.10        32.1 ± 2.17
                N. Philadelphia    30.0 ± 2.35        32.6 ± 2.39        31.1 ± 1.52
                Maroussi           29.6 ± 2.47        32.0 ± 2.19        30.2 ± 1.48
                Mean               31.12 ± 2.980      33.23 ± 2.994      31.36 ± 2.114

Eastern part    Zografou          30.6 ± 2.54         32.4 ± 2.55        30.6 ±  ± 1.78
                Kessariani        32.4 ± 2.99         33.8 ± 2.90        31.5 ± 2.33
                Ilioupooli        32.0 ± 2.47         34.0 ± 2.69        31.5 ± 1.73
                Byronas           32.7 ± 2.79         35.1 ± 2.71        33.5 ± 2.05
                Agia Paraskevi    28.1 ± 1.84         31.0 ± 2.03        30.7 ± 1.47
                Mean              31.17 ± 3.027       33.25 ± 2.930      31.57 ± 2.146

Southern part   Glyfada           29.5 ± 2.67         32.8 ± 2.11        32.6 ± 1.29
                Renti             31.7 ± 3.82         35.9 ± 2.90        36.2 ± 1.82
                Elliniko          30.2 ± 3.57         34.6 ± 2.70        35.9 ± 1.58
                Kallithea         32.0 ± 3.61         35.0 ± 2.12        33.6 ± 1.63
                Mochato           32.9 ± 3.38         35.9 ± 1.85        34.5 ± 1.31
                Mean              31.27 ± 3.608       34.84 ± 2.606      34.57 ± 2.503

Western part    Korydallos        30.4 ± 2.41         33.1 ± 2.12        31.2 ± 1.58
                Agia Varvara      32.0 ± 2.76         34.2 ± 2.31        31.8 ± 1.79
                Haidari           33.1 ± 2.98         34.1 ± 2.55        33.0 ± 2.46
                Egaleo            31.1 ± 2.98         33.8 ± 2.35        32.5 ± 1.55
                Petroupoli        33.3 ± 3.25         36.9 ± 3.22        36.2 ± 1.89
                Peristeri         32.8 ± 2.62         [B]40.0[/B] ± 4.36        [B]40.6[/B] ± 4.37
                Ilion             32.3 ± 3.02         34.5 ± 2.50        34.2 ± 2.93
                Agioi Anargyroi   32.5 ± 3.23         36.1 ± 2.03        34.7 ± 2.67
                Zefyri            31.6 ± 3.38         35.3 ± 2.82        35.0 ± 1.37
                Mean             32.13 ± 3.065        35.33 ± 3.391      34.37 ± 3.618

(source: Giannopoulou et. al. (2011). On the characteristics of the summer urban
         heat island in Athens,Greece", Sustainable Cities and Society, 1(1) 16, 28.)[/FONT]

Perhaps some of these dataloggers installed inside urban Athens have already broken the wall of 50°C.

It seems also that HNMS has installed a series of further urban stations inside Athens (http://www.hnms.gr/hnms/english/observation/observation_region_html?&dr_region=ObsAttiki), so I believe that the 50°C+ are at hand.
Unfortunately they installed most new stations in places above al least some grass and with some meters surrounding lawn, so they will be slightly cooler than the dataloggers above, but I expect great things from them. :thumbsup:

Ferreiro

Nimbostratus
Registo
3 Dez 2010
Local
A Corunha
E certo, Amending, ja uma estaçao de Atenas este verao marcou 50ºC :).

O record de Italia, em estaçao oficial, é 48,5ºC em Catenanuova (Sicilia).

belem

Cumulonimbus
Registo
10 Out 2007
Local
Sintra/Carcavelos/Óbidos
Tendo em conta a disparidade desses valores em relação às outras estações, penso que esses 40,6ºc não são muito de fiar.
Penso que é preciso muito boa vontade, para acreditar nisso.
A não ser que a instalação seja mesmo muito deficiente, porque não existem microclimas em Atenas que justifiquem esses valores.

Amending

Cirrus
Registo
14 Mar 2011
Local
Italia
Tendo em conta a disparidade desses valores em relação às outras estações, penso que esses 40,6ºc não são muito de fiar.
Penso que é preciso muito boa vontade, para acreditar nisso.
A não ser que a instalação seja mesmo muito deficiente, porque não existem microclimas em Atenas que justifiquem esses valores.

Sao datalogger urbanas, espalhadas na cidade,
mas geralmente não são instalados em telhados como as estações de amador, mas, geralmente, a altura da estrada ou um pouco maior.
Pode ser que a mesma datalogger com 40 ° C havia em asfalto novo ou pórfiro de rocha vulcânica, material que aquecem tanto.

Ferreiro

Nimbostratus
Registo
3 Dez 2010
Local
A Corunha

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
What you guys dont get about the dynamics of the summer climate of Attica is that the dynamic factor is its extreme geomorphology .Athens is not to be approached superficially in terms of its climate .I mean you can not do that in a peninsula surrounded by 5 mountains,countless hills and various distances from the sea. Each area reacts differently. Elefsina need NW or W winds to reach its extreme dynamics ,if you notice Hellenikon these days which is the ''weakest'' in terms of mean maxes in Athens it has been registering the highest values due to the Meltemi winds which in the south suburbs act as foehn giving the highest values of Athens due to their relationship with mountain Imitos while at the same time east Attica due to Meltemi winds can hardly see temps over 33C the past 10 days that the Meltemi winds are in their height in Athens

Leaving aside the creative statistics of junk stations in Athens we shall focus on WMO official stations that have the potential to hit the first 50C.Because if we look at totally junk stations such as Peristeri then I am surprised how we have not seen 55C+ yet

I mean the 40.6C mean max in Peristeri is a joke,apart from the fact that they placed the stations on purpose in the most central urban areas of Athens to capture the thermal differences in the summer,Peristeri station gives always readings that are totally unbelievable.I would accept those readings if it was a station not exposed to sun and properly meeting the WMO standards.I do not have a single doubt that Peristeri is among the warmest areas of Athens because of its proximity to Nea Filadelfeia but I would accept those value as long as those stations abide by the WMO standards.

Let us not kid ourselves here,Athens has extremely complex microclimate I study Athens summer climatology more than 15 years and each year I am surprised.With Meltemi (NE) winds we have the south suburbs due to Imitos registering huge values with the Foehn effects while traditional superpowers such as Elefsina and Nea Filadelfeia can hardly see temps close to 35C. Once the Meltemi winds stop then Hellenikon sees annoyingly low temps bsc of the sea breeze that do not exceed 32C while Elefsina with their relationship to the neighbouring mountains and the western winds sees temps that are honestly extreme.Nea Filadelfeia on the other hand shows a typical ''Andalusia'' behaviour.Consistently high maxes and extremely low minimums for Attica.In any case the microclimate of Athens,its geomorphology,the winds at each heat episode and off course the sea breeze are catalytic for Athenian summer climate

Just take a look at Megara well outside metro Athens and you will understand the ''pure'' behavior of Attica's summer climate

belem

Cumulonimbus
Registo
10 Out 2007
Local
Sintra/Carcavelos/Óbidos
Costa I am also very curious about areas next to Amareleja means.I think someone in the past had posted some really interesting figures.Can u help?Which is the warmest area for JJA for Portugal do u think?

Maybe it was me who posted it? Or JS? If it´s Herdade dos Lameirões, locally, that´s not that warm ( it´s placed in the plains area, not in the warmer lowlands). Though it´s figures sometimes can be interesting, but not more than that.
Unfortunately there´s no detailed data about the exact figures for the warmest areas during JJA for Portugal. Not even near. Costa´s point was stating exactly this.
But in some warm areas ( not the warmest) and nearby there are some Spanish weather stations that gives interesting values ( from Northeast Douro, until the Southeast Guadiana).
For example, close to the Tagus valley, but further north and at higher altitude, climatological averages for the warmest month can be as high as 38ºc or a little more... How accurate is this value? Anyone knows?
I only know that the Tagus Valley, before the Alcantara big water body, reaches extremely high values, due to the IM article published in 2002 regarding the warmest areas in Portugal in JJA and because of the geographical features on the zone. If you want, I can place the maps here ( just for higher probabilities conclusions).
Though to confirm this at 100%, some weather measurings should be done in these areas.
These places have much more conditions, in my opinion, to get high averages, than any Amareleja or Herdade dos Lameirões. They are much more protected from weather variations. If we talk about Douro, this is even more evident. As you can see on the map that Costa posted, in the Douro area, you get places at very low altitude well inland and sheltered by several mountains groups. This explains it´s very low annual precipitation levels and high temperatures during the summer. I have been receiving some ocasional data from the Sabor ( because of fieldwork) and the values are pretty high, according to the season and more importantly, even when the country, presumably isn´t in a very warm period.
The Guadiana, has also nice warm places, but I´m not so sure about being the warmest in Portugal. This is due to the fact, that seems to be less sheltered than all the others, though this needs confirmation.
But it´s surely well warmer than Amareleja or Lameirões, at least, in some good extensions.
So we can identifly, at least, 3 major very warm areas during the summer ( Douro, Tagus and Guadiana valleys) and also a possible fourth region, that´s located in the Algarve, but inland, that´s called barrocal.
But this last one, has less chances than the other 3, I think.

Let´s remember that sometimes we see a discrepancy between the warmest places on average and the ones which get the temperature records.
But even having this in mind, I doubt that the Amareleja is the place that has more conditions to get records. One thing is sure, Portugal has very scanty data... lol

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
Thanks Belem,so focusing clearly on the mean JJA temps or which ever trimester is the warmest for Portugal which do you think is absolutely the strongest candidate in Portugal to be the ''warmest on average throughout the summer''?;);)

Sorry to be so persistent but I would like an even more straight forward answer ;)

belem

Cumulonimbus
Registo
10 Out 2007
Local
Sintra/Carcavelos/Óbidos
What you guys dont get about the dynamics of the summer climate of Attica is that the dynamic factor is its extreme geomorphology .Athens is not to be approached superficially in terms of its climate .I mean you can not do that in a peninsula surrounded by 5 mountains,countless hills and various distances from the sea. Each area reacts differently. Elefsina need NW or W winds to reach its extreme dynamics ,if you notice Hellenikon these days which is the ''weakest'' in terms of mean maxes in Athens it has been registering the highest values due to the Meltemi winds which in the south suburbs act as foehn giving the highest values of Athens due to their relationship with mountain Imitos while at the same time east Attica due to Meltemi winds can hardly see temps over 33C the past 10 days that the Meltemi winds are in their height in Athens

Leaving aside the creative statistics of junk stations in Athens we shall focus on WMO official stations that have the potential to hit the first 50C.Because if we look at totally junk stations such as Peristeri then I am surprised how we have not seen 55C+ yet

I mean the 40.6C mean max in Peristeri is a joke,apart from the fact that they placed the stations on purpose in the most central urban areas of Athens to capture the thermal differences in the summer,Peristeri station gives always readings that are totally unbelievable.I would accept those readings if it was a station not exposed to sun and properly meeting the WMO standards.I do not have a single doubt that Peristeri is among the warmest areas of Athens because of its proximity to Nea Filadelfeia but I would accept those value as long as those stations abide by the WMO standards.

Let us not kid ourselves here,Athens has extremely complex microclimate I study Athens summer climatology more than 15 years and each year I am surprised.With Meltemi (NE) winds we have the south suburbs due to Imitos registering huge values with the Foehn effects while traditional superpowers such as Elefsina and Nea Filadelfeia can hardly see temps close to 35C. Once the Meltemi winds stop then Hellenikon sees annoyingly low temps bsc of the sea breeze that do not exceed 32C while Elefsina with their relationship to the neighbouring mountains and the western winds sees temps that are honestly extreme.Nea Filadelfeia on the other hand shows a typical ''Andalusia'' behaviour.Consistently high maxes and extremely low minimums for Attica.In any case the microclimate of Athens,its geomorphology,the winds at each heat episode and off course the sea breeze are catalytic for Athenian summer climate

Just take a look at Megara well outside metro Athens and you will understand the ''pure'' behavior of Attica's summer climate

Your post is very interesting.
Many thanks for your informations regarding the summer weather dynamics in Attica.
Now it´s much more clear for me, how things «work».

belem

Cumulonimbus
Registo
10 Out 2007
Local
Sintra/Carcavelos/Óbidos
Thanks Belem,so focusing clearly on the mean JJA temps or which ever trimester is the warmest for Portugal which do you think is absolutely the strongest candidate in Portugal to be the ''warmest on average throughout the summer''?;);)

Sorry to be so persistent but I would like an even more straight forward answer ;)

It´s impossible to give you an answer, by now.
Sorry... lol

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
Belem,I order to explain in more detail what I was saying about the Northern Meltemi winds (NE or N) in the south suburbs,here are the temps of Hellenikon the past 10 days or so that Attica is being hit by Meltemi winds

90683364.jpg

Now look at those values and compare them to Elefsina,Nea Filadelfeia or let alone East Attica such as Spata airport.I mean Elefsina and Nea Filadelfeia were nowhere to be seen.Not to mention Spata airport in East Attica.I dont know if someone has been checking the differences between Hellenikon and the rest of Athens the past few days,but let me tell you the differences are huge.Now if you look the last couple of days the Meltemi winds are slightly easing,and guess what Elefsina and Nea Filadelfeia are starting to wake up.I think from tommorow onwards we will see a more balanced picture,with Hellenikon starting to show its typical stupid low maxes little by little as the Meltemi winds ease.

Spata and generally East Attica is at the mercy of Meltemi winds totally unsheltered from the Aegean.Just go to East Attica from the east side of mountain Imitos....you will believe that you are on holidays in Mykonos or Santorini ;) besides if you notice the HNMS forecasts each time we have Meltemi winds the forecast for East Attica is ALWAYS separately mentioned with the note of at least 3C to 5C lower values than the South suburbs of Athens.

It's not nuclear physics guys,its just that Athens has an extreme geomorphology

Estado
Fechado para novas mensagens.