Super Célula
Registo
7 Ago 2008
Local
Lisboa
No surprises there....

As Ian simply said....ATTICA WINS :D

capturemvf.jpg

Attica is warmer during the night and Andalusia is warmer during the day, that´s the most relevant fact, because the averages are not even one degree apart.

I was shocked that the difference between the top 12 warmest yearly mean in Europe were also such tiny...for example, Faro was only 1.98ºC colder than Palaiochora..and Faro was in 11th place while Palaiochora got the first..:confused:

belem

Cumulonimbus
Registo
10 Out 2007
Local
Sintra/Carcavelos/Óbidos
Attica is warmer during the night and Andalusia is warmer during the day, that´s the most relevant fact, because the averages are not even one degree apart.

I was shocked that the difference between the top 12 warmest yearly mean in Europe were also such tiny...for example, Faro was only 1.98ºC colder than Palaiochora..and Faro was in 11th place while Palaiochora got the first..:confused:

Yes, I agree with you. I did said the same thing, sometime ago.
Faro, with it´s local fresh cape type of climate, getting up to the 11 th place is laughable... I wonder about what would happen if the warm regions start to be studied in Algarve, let alone the Guadiana Valley, Tagus valley, Guadalquivir valley, etc...
One important note: this small home made contest, is only about some cities, it doesn´t give an idea about where are the warmest places and how warm it are. And for me, this would be the ultimate challenge, all the rest is rubbish, just to fulfill the ego of someone. On that « challenge» that you presented, some cities are chosen by people, but data isn´t based on averages and these figures are only based on small samples. lol This simply put; 1, 2 or 3 years data, can be only interesting, not really important climatically, to define the warmest areas. Also this data can downgrade unfairly other countries, simply because it haven´t the same weather coverage, on it´s warmest areas. If you check the altitude and the weather station positions, between the countries, you´ll easily notice, the bias behind all this... Nevertheless, is a bit interesting, to understand that even a locally fresh place, can get so close to other ones, well known for being locally «warm».

Seville getting so close to Crete´s Palaiochora, is also funny in my opinion.
See the differences between the positions of these 2 cities and you´ll understand why.

So my conclusion about this small data sample, is that, though interesting isn´t solid/ complete enough to make a serious scientific climatological resume about it.

Ferreiro

Nimbostratus
Registo
3 Dez 2010
Local
A Corunha
Ontem de novo mais de 40ºC no vale do Guadalquivir. A realidade é que por cada día que em Grecia chegam a 40ºC, na peninsula iberica temos 10 días como temperaturas de mais de 40ºC.

O HNMS (servizo meteorologico grego) aínda nao publicou os dados de julho, mais cando o faga sospeito que serão muito diferentes aos aportados por ese personagem :)

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
Seville getting so close to Crete´s Palaiochora, is also funny in my opinion.
See the differences between the positions of these 2 cities and you´ll understand why.

So my conclusion about this small data sample, is that, though interesting isn´t solid/ complete enough to make a serious scientific climatological resume about it.

Bit edgy, arent we? I dont think that Ian claims a PhD thesis for Attica vs Andalusia nor I believe he is trying to get the data published in academia.

You mention the difference between Seville and Palaiohora when the difference between Athens and Seville from Ian's thread is even less and last year Athens was warmer annually. Off course no one claims that 2 years of data can give a valid conclusion they just add to the long terms stats that want Attica warmest in Europe during the summer.

I think you just take this way too serious , but it is understandable since it shows that Iberia at least from the available data from WMO stations is second best in terms of heat ,something which I have spotted more than a decade now. Empirically speaking I doubt something can or will change by just wishing it would or accusing Ian of bias when in fact the ''home made'' competition is the most systematic one in any European forum. Ok I get it that you would accuse me of bias, but Ian?

belem

Cumulonimbus
Registo
10 Out 2007
Local
Sintra/Carcavelos/Óbidos
Bit edgy, arent we? I dont think that Ian claims a PhD thesis for Attica vs Andalusia nor I believe he is trying to get the data published in academia.

I´m glad about that.

You mention the difference between Seville and Palaiohora when the difference between Athens and Seville from Ian's thread is even less and last year Athens was warmer annually. Off course no one claims that 2 years of data can give a valid conclusion they just add to the long terms stats that want Attica warmest in Europe during the summer.

No, it adds data about some small points in Attica, being warmer in the summer than small points in Andalucia.
More simply put, Point B, warmer than point C, during X period, is then the realistic conclusion to be made.

I think you just take this way too serious ,

Sure, basing on your participation on other European foruns, during «years» period, it´s me who takes this way too serious...:rolleyes:

but it is understandable since it shows that Iberia at least from the available data from WMO stations is second best in terms of heat ,something which I have spotted more than a decade now.

Yes, you have spotted, but spare other people from your scattered claims and produce something more scientific and tangible.

Empirically speaking I doubt something can or will change by just wishing it would or accusing Ian of bias when in fact the ''home made'' competition is the most systematic one in any European forum. Ok I get it that you would accuse me of bias, but Ian?

No one was accusing Ian of bias, stop placing things on the wrong context.
What was said is that basing climatological data only on certain spots can give us wrong and biased results. Simply because data is too scanty.
A point or B point, has small climatological representation in an entire land area such as Iberia, for example.
I hope you understand that for me, has small value about who´s in first, third or second, in summer average, according to scanty data, but what interests me the most, is climatology overall, this is my passion... I´m not Italian boy or Daedalus or whoever was debating against you in the past...

Ferreiro

Nimbostratus
Registo
3 Dez 2010
Local
A Corunha
Hoje o servizo meteorologico nacional grego (HNMS) publicou os dados de Julho das estaçaos localizadas na cidade de Atenas, e como é habitual com elevadas temperaturas minimas, mas máximas que estao muito por debaixo das que temos no sur da pensinsula iberica, como tambem é habitual.

http://www.hnms.gr/hnms/english/climatology/climatology_html

As medias, uma vez calculadas com a formula simple de máxima+minima/2 sao:

Elefsina 29.4ºC
Helleniko 28.55ºC
Tatoi 27.05ºC
Spata (aeroporto de Atenas) 26.09ºC :D

As mínimas altas sao consecuencia da forte ilha de calor e nao da temperatura do mar. A proba está em que a estaçao do aeroporto de Atenas, localizada em Spata, que está fóra da cidade ainda que perto de Atenas, e com muita menor ilha de calor que as outras 3 (que estao localizadas em solo urbano), e perto do mar e somente a 72 metros de altitude tivo uma temperatura media mínima em julho de 21.1ºC!!!! (com temperatura media do mes de 26.09ºC) :lmao:

Misterio resolvido.

Outras temperaturas media de julho em Grecia:
Tanagra (é aeroporto da cidade de Tanagra, muito perto de Atenas) 27.0ºC
Herakleion (tambem é aeroporto, na ilha de Creta) 25.75ºC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rodos (ignoro se é aeroporto, acho que sim, na ilha asiática de Rodos) 27.6ºC

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
Take it easy Belem i never said you are Dedalustutiempo or whoever. Meanwhile enjoy how the interior of Attica makes Cordoba look like London ;) and threatens Seville at the same time.

Here is Ian's table for the mean maxes so far ;) Pity the HNMS station of Filadelfeia,Athens was not running last year and especially last August. You would have seen the true heat beast Athens can become ;)

capturepezw.jpg

Ferreiro

Nimbostratus
Registo
3 Dez 2010
Local
A Corunha
Neste link do HNMS (serviço meteorologico nacional grego) podem ver os dados diarios do aeroporto de Atenas, localiçado em Spata (pequeno local na periferia de Atenas), ademas da localizaçao e altitude da estaçao. Podem comprobar como as temperaturas fóra da cidade sao muitisimo mais baijas que no interior da grande cidade, como é logico :)

http://www.hnms.gr/hnms/english/observation/observation_html?&dr_city=Spata_Athens_Airport

Lembrem, temperatura media simple de julho 2011 26ºC, media das mínimas de julho 2011 21ºC!!!!

Ainda queda muito para que o HNMS publique os dados de agosto, mais acho 25ºC em agosto 2011 no aeroporto de Atenas :)

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
Neste link do HNMS (serviço meteorologico nacional grego) podem ver os dados diarios do aeroporto de Atenas, localiçado em Spata (pequeno local na periferia de Atenas). Tambem podem comprobar como as temperaturas fóra da cidade sao muitisimo mais baijas que no interior da grande cidade, como é logico :)

http://www.hnms.gr/hnms/english/observation/observation_html?&dr_city=Spata_Athens_Airport

Lembrem, temperatura media simple de julho 2011 26ºC, media das mínimas de julho 2011 21ºC!!!!

Ainda queda muito para que o HNMS publique os dados de agosto, mais acho 25ºC em agosto 2011 no aeroporto de Atenas :)

Ferreiro stop bitching about and get over it.Athens gives you nightmares.Cry me a river about Spata which is the most exposed area of mainland Greece to the Meltemi winds or Florina if you want,Attica makes all of Europe watch ;)

Meanwhile this is the station of HNMS that will make you cry even more in terms of mean maxes.It has already made Cordoba cry :lmao:

FILADELFEIA,ATHENS HNMS .Located at the very interior of the Attica peninsula
http://www.hnms.gr/hnms/english/obs...?&dr_region=ObsAttiki&dr_city=ams_filadelfeia

belem

Cumulonimbus
Registo
10 Out 2007
Local
Sintra/Carcavelos/Óbidos

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens

Seville is warmer on year average, right?

Only marginally compared to coastal Attica with Athens Hellenikon having a mean annual of 18.5 while San Pablo has 18.7 from the long terms series.

While the whole of South and South East Greece, south of Mykonos and Santorini is warmer annually compared to Seville.Your point?

belem

Cumulonimbus
Registo
10 Out 2007
Local
Sintra/Carcavelos/Óbidos
Only marginally compared to coastal Attica with Athens Hellenikon having a mean annual of 18.5 while San Pablo has 18.7 from the long terms series.

While the whole of South and South East Greece, south of Mykonos and Santorini is warmer annually compared to Seville.Your point?

My point is that I was asking if Seville is warmer annually than Athens.
Of course that in Spain there are warmer spots than Seville, annually as well.

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
My point is that I was asking if Seville is warmer annually than Athens.
Of course that in Spain there are warmer spots than Seville, annually as well.

Which in any case will be cooler to Greece's warmest one's ;)

Btw here is the interesting data from Ian's thread and for the period the Filadelfeia station in Attica is working here are the highest mean maxes.Portugal is not doing well. While Sparta in the interior of Peloponnese from Greece is really a good opponent for Andujar! Filadelfeia in Attica as well is not doing bad...But the interior of Crete with the Sivas station I believe has EVEN HIGHER MEAN MAX compared to Sparta from Greece....So next year's thread from Ian will be really interesting...

The big news off course is the heat dynamic of the interior of Crete!Waiting to have official confirmation from the NOA bulletins but at least for June the Sivas station had Greece's highest mean maximum by far!I think Andujar will start being really scared of Crete's summer heat.heheheh

capturetex.jpg

This one for Sparta! Apart from being a heroic historic city it is also heroic in terms of its summer heat ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qR0Uke2XNI"]300 - This is madness. This is Sparta. - YouTube[/ame]

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
So we have confirmation from N.O.A regarding the WMO station of Athens,Thiseio for July. The mean maximum was 34.9C and the mean minimum 25.1 the simple mean was once again 30C for Thiseio.From 2001 till 2011 the simple mean of Thiseio for July for those 11 years is 30.0C exactly...this is outstanding and goes to show the extreme warming of South Europe during the summer...

Most importantly we have confirmation regarding the Sivas stations in the interior of Crete from NOA. It's mean maximum was a stunning 36.4C and was Greece's highest.Still pending confirmation on whether the station is WMO.However I have a feeling it is. The interior of Crete is showing that it can really register huge temps.Again in June Sivas had Greece's highest mean maximum out of all HNMS and NOA stations....

Here is the data for Thiseio.If you can not see the picture let me know to add it as attachment

capturepxf.jpg

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
And here is a view of Sivas in the interior of Southern Crete. As you can see the mountain ranges are probably responsible for the systematic phoen winds of Sivas that are giving it these extreme maxes. Sivas is defo comparable if not stronger to Andujar in terms of mean maxes in the summer,me thinks ;)

SHIVAS%20VIEW%202.JPG

Estado
Fechado para novas mensagens.