Stormchasing mortal

ecobcg

Super Célula
Registo
10 Abr 2008
Local
Sitio das Fontes e Carvoeiro (Lagoa - Algarve)
Re: Stormchasing Confusão no ar...

Parece que o site ficou sem a informação "repentinamente"...

Se tiver novidades acerca do assunto, se poderem poste sff.:thumbsup:

Parece que o blog foi colocado offline...

Well I guess people are getting out of control and semi-violent. Such is the Internet now days when you express free speech. I decided to remove the blog. Someone is distributing a doctored copy that is disgusting and I don't have time to keep on this 24 hours a day. I also received a death threat, although I don't take it seriously.

W.

E entretanto já houve troca amigável de emails com o Reed...

Storm Chaser
Just to give everyone a heads-up. I just exchanged a couple of friendly emails with Reed Timmer. I have to say it shows a lot of character on his part to respond -- given the beating he took from me. I wanted to make sure he knew the doctored blogs and posts going around were not of my making. I guess the breaking point of all this was the loss within our chase community. Life is too short for this bickering regardless. As I've stated multiple times, it was never anything personal -- my only intent was to protect chasers down the line. People can make their own decisions in the future as to their chase mode preferences

Warren

https://www.facebook.com/storm.chaser.184?hc_location=stream

E, já agora, fica aqui um artigo interessante, para quem quiser ler e comentar:

Storm chasing critical, profitable and dangerous
By SEAN MURPHY and COLLEEN SLEVIN | Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — While most people take shelter when a tornado approaches, a growing throng heads for the prairies, be they scientists hoping to protect the public from a twister's fury or amateurs armed with little more than a smartphone, a digital camera and a desire to sell 15 seconds of video to the nightly news.

But the deaths of three respected researchers near Oklahoma City have renewed questions over whether the risk of dashing off into violent storms in Tornado Alley is too great — regardless of the adrenaline rush.

"I think there will be some who will step back and say: 'Am I really doing something safe here?'" said Michael Armstrong, a meteorologist for KWTV in Oklahoma City. "I think you'll probably have others ... that just feel that invincibility that they've always felt and they'll keep doing what they're doing and basically look at it as though it was an aberration or an outlier."

Longtime storm chasers Tim Samaras, his son Paul and colleague Carl Young were killed Friday when a powerful tornado near El Reno, Okla., turned on them as they were conducting research. The National Weather Center issued a statement saying they are likely the first "storm intercept fatalities" among researchers.

Oklahoma is considered the "mecca of storm chasing," Tim Samaras told National Geographic just last month, and there are often hundreds of storm chasers lining the roads. Seasoned storm trackers provide critical field data that can't be gleaned from high-powered Doppler radar, veteran meteorologists say. But they're increasingly competing with storm-chasing tours, amateur weather enthusiasts inspired by cable TV shows and tornado paparazzi speeding from storm to storm.

Samaras' colleagues said he took numerous safety precautions, spending hours looking at weather models and developing safe escape routes and rendezvous points. All were done in case his crew would have to pull away from a tornado and use well-maintained roads that wouldn't turn into "pancake batter" in rain.

"Storm chasing isn't about what you see on TV. It's about forecasting and safety preparation," said Ben McMillan, a storm chaser from Des Moines, Iowa, who teamed up in 2011 with Samaras and Ed Grubb of Thornton, Colo., for the Discovery Channel show "Storm Chasers"

Samaras also usually drove a three-quarter ton truck with a reinforced lining, Grubb said, but had a smaller truck last week because he was on a three-week research trip focused mostly on lightning.

Many amateur storm chasers are looking to capture heart-pounding video of a massive, dangerous twister and cash in by selling the footage to television stations or documentary filmmakers. TV stations and other news outlets generally pay up to $500 to use certain video, and storm chasers will reach out to several different ones. Sometimes they're not even after money, but hearing their name read aloud on the air.

Lanny Dean, a 23-year veteran storm chaser from Tulsa, Okla., charges up to $3,500 to give tourists a 10-day tour during the March through June storm season. He said he's seen the industry change dramatically with the rise of TV programs documenting deadly storms.

"There are more and more people out there on the road. Many of them should not be," he said. "We're talking about individuals who are not experienced and who have no clue what they're doing. Friday's event was certainly no exception."

Dean and seven of his tourists found themselves near El Reno last week on the jam-packed roads when the deadly twisters began to drop from the sky.

"I saw a kid standing in the back of a Chevy pickup truck filming this thing as they're driving toward the tornado," Dean said. "I thought, my God, how stupid are these people?"

Friday's storm was particularly treacherous because the rotation was wrapped in rain, made frequent sudden turns and spawned multiple tornadoes. Eighteen people died, including several who were in their vehicles when the tornado hit.

"This storm had everything you could handle at one time," said Rick Smith, warning coordination meteorologist at the National Weather Service in Norman. "This was one of the craziest storms I've ever worked.

"It's just Oklahoma weather at the end of May. We had the perfect blend of ingredients."

Professors at the University of Oklahoma's School of Meteorology strongly discourage their students from storm chasing and rarely bring them into the field for research unless it's part of a well-planned, coordinated project.

"I can tell you that from a university perspective, we do not condone storm chasing at all. It's not something we teach in classes," said Melissa Bird, spokeswoman for OU's College of Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences. "It's dangerous, and students are not considered weather experts."

In the end, meteorologists, like Armstrong, believe storm trackers play an important role in keeping the public safe.

"There are aspects of it where storm chasers and storm trackers are always going to play a vital role in the warning process," Armstrong said. "But it is inherently dangerous to be around these storms."

Both Grubb and McMillian said they would continue chasing storms, despite their colleagues' deaths. Grubb, who started chasing storms in 1974, acknowledged the thrill was part of the attraction.

"It's like a magic show watching the clouds do this," he said.
http://news.yahoo.com/storm-chasing-critical-profitable-dangerous-204740357.html

Vince

Furacão
Registo
23 Jan 2007
Local
Braga
Entretanto soube-se que morreu outro chaser na 6ªfeira, este amador, enviou uma foto do tornado a um amigo e morreu instantes depois.

- Oklahoma storms: Amateur storm chaser took photo of tornado that killed him

Mais alguns vídeos

Este impressiona, do Brandon Sullivan, que ficou com a carrinha toda amachucada, mas ficou por aí sem consequências de maior.

Outro

Também encontrei este que me despertou curiosidade pois foi na empresa aonde o nosso forista Lightning andou o ano passado, também apanharam um susto com a rapidez com que tudo se formou e mudou de direcção, mas felizmente tinham a rota de fuga desimpedida

Editado por um moderador:

Vince

Furacão
Registo
23 Jan 2007
Local
Braga
Um texto de Jeff Masters sobre Tim Samaras e o trabalho pioneiro dele

Tornado Scientist Tim Samaras and Team Killed in Friday's El Reno, OK Tornado

NUDfomn.jpg

Veteran tornado scientist Tim Samaras, his son, environmental photographer Paul Samaras, 24, and meteorologist Carl Young, 45, died while chasing Friday's EF-3 tornado in El Reno, Oklahoma. The tornado killed at least nine people, in total. "Thank you to everyone for the condolences. It truly is sad that we lost my great brother Tim and his great son, Paul," said the brother of Tim Samaras, Jim Samaras, on Tim's Facebook page. "They all unfortunately passed away but doing what they LOVED." Tim, his son Paul, and Carl Young were all featured chasers on the Discovery Channel’s series, Storm Chasers, and Tim was known throughout the chase community as a conscientious and safety-minded chaser. Carl Young, who holds a Masters degree in meteorology from the University of Nevada, joined Samaras in the field in 2003. According to his Discovery Channel biography, Young and Samaras chased over 125 tornadoes together: "Carl's finest moment came on June 11, 2004 near Storm Lake, Iowa. Working with Tim, they defied the odds and deployed their probes right in the path of a tornado. The six-camera video probe captured amazing footage from multiple angles while the sensor probe recorded data that revealed just how fast wind speeds are close to the ground."

Z7xCnnP.png

Figure 2. Storm chasers in North Dakota aligned themselves to spell out "T S" in honor of Tim Samaras today. Image credit: spotternetwork.org.

Tornado science loses a pioneer
Tim Samaras had been a tornado scientist for over 25 years. He was the founder of TWISTEX, the Tactical Weather Instrumented Sampling in Tornadoes Experiment, a 2011 field experiment designed to help learn more about tornadoes and increase lead time for warnings, which resulted in many peer-reviewed publications and conference presentations. One of Tim Samaras' most widely recognized contributions to tornado science is his placement of an aerodynamically-designed probe in the path of an EF-4 tornado near Manchester, South Dakota on June 24, 2003. The probe measured a world-record pressure fall of 100 mb over a 40 second period.

One of the publications from the TWISTEX program, "Near-Ground Pressure and Wind Measurements in Tornadoes" recounts this close call Tim had in a tornado in 2011: "As the storm approached, the crew noted that the supercell was moving more sharply to the right of its former course, placing them near the projected path of the low-level mesocyclone. The crew drove south on Highway 259, attempting to position south of the low-level mesocyclone before it crossed the highway. With considerable tree cover in this region hampering the visual observation of the storm's features, TWISTEX crews could not position south of the mesocyclone on Highway 259 before the mesocyclone reached this road. Thus, the two mobile mesonet stations, M2 and M3, had an unplanned tornado encounter with a developing tornadic circulation while the mesonet was traveling south on Highway 259."

NwtC21x.gif

Figure 3. One of Tim Samaras' most widely recognized contributions to tornado science is his placement of an aerodynamically-designed probe in the path of an EF-4 tornado near Manchester, South Dakota on June 24, 2003. The probe measured a world-record pressure fall of 100 mb over a 40 second period. See the NWS article and conference paper on the event. Thanks to wunderground member Scott Lincoln for this link.

A storm chasers' nightmare
Cars and tornadoes can prove a dangerous mix even for the world's most experienced storm chasers. Driving at high speeds though heavy rain, large hail, and high winds is hazardous. If one is lucky enough to chase down a tornado, even the most experienced chasers can find themselves in a serious life-threatening situation when unexpected events occur. The exact circumstances of the deaths of Tim Samaras and his team are not clear, but the El Reno tornado was an extremely dangerous one to chase. Tornadoes by their nature are unpredictable, and can change course unexpectedly, or pop up suddenly. It's particularly dangerous when a tornado is wrapped in rain, making it hard to see, or if a chaser is operating in a heavily populated area, where roads may suddenly become congested. All four of these conditions occurred Friday during the El Reno tornado. The El Reno tornado was wrapped in rain and difficult to see as it headed west towards Oklahoma City, and suddenly made a jog to the southeast as a Weather Channel team led by Mike Bettes was attempting to get in front of the storm, and the tornado lifted their vehicle off the ground, rolled it multiple times, and hurled it 200 yards into a nearby field. Austin Anderson was driving the Tornado Hunt vehicle, and suffered several broken bones and was hospitalized. Although Austin will have to undergo surgery in the next few days, doctors say he is expected to make a full recovery. StormChasingVideo.com storm chaser Brandon Sullivan and his chase partner Brett Wright got caught in the tornado northwest of Union City, OK and slammed with debris as the tornado hit a barn that exploded in front of them. Meteorologist Emily Sutton and storm chaser Kevin Josefy of local Oklahoma City TV station KFOR also had a very close call with the El Reno tornado Friday afternoon. They got too close to the tornado, and were forced to floor the car in reverse to escape flying debris. With branches of trees crashing around them, Sutton began feeling debris hitting her back, and realized that the rear windshield of the car must have gotten destroyed. Both were uninjured. Reed Timmer's armor-plated "Dominator" chase vehicle had its hood torn off by the tornado. Wunderground member Levi32 was out storm chasing during the El Reno Tornado, and got stuck in traffic on Highway 4 and couldn't move. "We looked up above the car and saw the wall cloud over top of us, with very quick rotation and rising scud indicating the updraft. We were definitely too close."

http://youtu.be/GtOtDDPcNGE

Video 1. Severe storm researcher and engineer Tim Samaras talks about his view on tornadoes and what remains to be understood in this interview posted on May 21, 2013.

http://youtu.be/-nKGOjNh_lI

Video 2. A tornado passes over one of Tim Samaras' specially designed six-camera video probes on June 11, 2004 near Storm Lake, Iowa.

Tornadoes and cars: a dangerous mix
A vehicle is about the worst place you can be in a tornado, as the tornado's winds can easily roll a car. (The only place less safe is probably a mobile home, as a tornado's winds can roll mobile homes almost as readily, and mobile homes don't come with seat belts and air bags.) At least five of the deaths in Friday's El Reno tornado occurred in vehicles. There was one local TV station that urged residents without underground shelters to get in their cars and "get south" in advance of the tornado that was approaching Oklahoma City, since chasers were reporting that the El Reno tornado may have been so strong that only an underground shelter would have provided adequate protection. This terrible piece of advice likely contributed to the incredible traffic jams that we saw on I-35, I-40, I-44, and other local roads Friday night. Thousands of cars were bumper-to-bumper on the roads as a dangerous tornado approached them. Had the El Reno tornado plowed directly down one of these car-choked interstates, the death toll could have easily exceeded 500. If you are located in a metro area and don't have an underground shelter, the best thing to do it to take shelter in an interior windowless room or hallway, with protective furniture over your body. Getting in a car and attempting to flee the tornado is the worst thing you can do in an urban area. You may not be able to see the tornado if it is dark or the tornado is wrapped in rain. You are likely to encounter hazardous winds, rain, and hail, run into unexpected traffic, or flooded or debris-blocked roads that will put you directly in the path of the tornado. Even without an underground shelter, most people will be able to survive a dangerous EF-4 tornado. Case in point: during the Mannsford, Oklahoma EF- 4 tornado of 1984, a packed church received a direct hit, and everyone in the church survived. The only fatality was a man who drove to the church to get his wife. It is often better to abandon your vehicle and take shelter in a ditch, if you are caught in a car during a tornado. However, if there is already flying debris in the air, leaving your car and exposing yourself to the debris in order to get to a ditch may be more hazardous than staying in your car. Furthermore, ditches are prone to flash floods. Four deaths during the El Reno tornado were from a family of seven that sheltered in a drainage ditch, and were washed into the Deep Fork River by a flash flood. Searchers are still looking for the other three bodies. A 2002 research paper, "UNSAFE AT ANY (WIND) SPEED? Testing the Stability of Motor Vehicles in Severe Winds" found that: "The stability and superior safety of being in a vehicle in severe winds, relative to occupying a mobile home or being outdoors, should be considered." Also, TWC's severe weather expert, Dr. Greg Forbes, commented on the pros and cons of abandoning one's vehicle for a ditch in a 2009 blog post, "Tornado Safety - Cars Versus Ditches: A Controversy." His personal take on what he would do if his car was being overtaken by a tornado, and no sturdy buildings were nearby to take shelter in: "I can't see myself getting out of the vehicle. I'd try first to drive away from the tornado. Both the NWS and the American Red Cross actually also advocate this. If you can determine which way the tornado is moving toward, face your body toward that direction and then go to the right, as shown in the diagram below. That is usually toward the south or southeast. The reason that it's best to head this way is that if you went to the left you would normally get into the region where largest hail and blinding rain occur in the kind of supercell, rotating thunderstorms that often spawn tornadoes. If I had no such driving option and I did feel the urge to get out of my car, I'd try to get into a building, and into a ditch well away from the car as the last resort."

My condolences and prayers go to all of the family and friends of Tim Samaras, Paul Samaras, and Carl Young. Their deaths are a terrible shock to the meteorological community, and a great loss for tornado science. I hope that their deaths will lead towards safer tornado chasing, and help spur efforts to use emerging drone technology to take measurements in dangerous storms such as tornadoes and hurricanes.

Jeff Masters

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2423

Redfish

Cumulus
Registo
6 Jul 2007
Local
Salir - Loulé
O Link que postei ontem era de acusações bem forte de Warren Faidley a Reed Timmer e ao Weather Channel sobre a forma sem “escrúpulos” como fazem as caçadas, a forma como conseguem lucros e muitas outras acusações que só mesmo vendo, pois tratava-se de um artigo bem grande…

Li por alto já que era em inglês, mas a verdade é que a pagina ficou OFF pois muita informação menos própria foi ali publicada e que se calhar ele mesmo foi “obrigada” a retira-la pois a mesma pareceu-me ser mesmo casa do polícia. …

Não sei se alguém aqui do Fórum conseguiu ler o artigo mas era mt interessante

Pena não ter feito um copy & paste…:(

ecobcg

Super Célula
Registo
10 Abr 2008
Local
Sitio das Fontes e Carvoeiro (Lagoa - Algarve)
Mais um artigo com alguns aspectos muito interessantes:

Storm chasers’ deaths in Okla. tornado prompt questions, calls for regulation

By Stan Finger
The Wichita Eagle

Veteran storm chasers knew this day was coming.
With so many people now chasing severe weather in the hope of seeing a tornado – and getting closer and closer to the unpredictable beasts in the process – it was only a matter of time before a chaser was killed by one.

What has stunned so many chasers, however, is that when it finally happened on Friday near Oklahoma City, the victims included two of the most seasoned and cautious chasers in the field: Tim Samaras and Carl Young.

“This took out the best,” Wichita storm chaser and severe weather photographer Jim Reed said. “If that happens to Tim, it can happen to any of us. I hope they do a thorough, thorough investigation.”

Valley Center storm chaser Brandon Ivey described Samaras as storm chasing’s version of NASCAR legend Dale Earnhardt – a veteran who was almost universally admired and respected by his peers.

Samaras founded the company Twistex to research tornadoes and developed probes that could take photographs and gather data after they’d been picked up by tornadoes.

“It looks like they were deploying probes,” weather researcher Jon Davies, who worked with Samaras on various projects, said of Young, Samaras and his son Paul Samaras, who also was killed. “I can’t come up with anything – they must have misjudged the distance.”

Deploying probes meant Samaras had to get close to a tornado, making him and his crew more vulnerable. But Reed said he still can’t believe this was just a case of Samaras taking one risk too many.

“Tim was used to close calls,” Reed said. “I’ve seen him get so close and know when to stop and when to take evasive action. I find it difficult to believe that something was this sudden.”

Closer inspection of some video of the El Reno tornado – given a preliminary rating of EF-3 on the Enhanced Fujita scale, meaning it had winds of up to 165 mph – showed multiple vortices on the leading edge, Davies said. It’s possible a rogue vortice struck Samaras’ vehicle.

Several other chasers were hit by the tornado. Among them was the Weather Channel’s “Tornado Hunt” vehicle, which was reported to have been lifted and thrown an estimated 200 yards. All three people inside the vehicle, including meteorologist Mike Bettes, survived, but the driver suffered a broken neck, fractured vertebrae and several broken ribs.

The incident has prompted calls for regulation of storm chasing, including from the president of the Kansas Emergency Management Association in the heart of Tornado Alley. Brian Stone said if someone chooses to chase tornadoes, there should be rules to ensure they know what they’re doing. But Stone concedes he’s not sure whether law officers could enforce such rules.
“We need less storm chasers on the road, but I don’t know how we manage that,” Davies said.

Reed said roads are much more crowded with chaser vehicles now than when he began pursuing storms more than 20 years ago. Chaser congestion may have played a role in how Samaras chose to track the tornado.

“Did they have to go down a different road” than they wanted to, Reed asked, limiting their escape options? “That I can see influencing an outcome. Even on the best days ... this phenomenon can change so quickly, you have to be ready to go to Plan B. You may only have a few seconds to react.”
As more and more chasers vie to capture images or video that will generate revenue or public attention on YouTube or cable networks, the desire to stand apart can lead chasers to take greater risks.

“It does seem to be becoming exponentially more hazardous,” Reed said. “We just seem to keep raising the bar.”

AccuWeather Senior Vice President Mike Smith, who has been chasing storms for decades, warned against overreacting in the wake of what happened Friday in Oklahoma. In the more than four decades since storm chasing began, he said, these are the first chasers killed by a tornado.

“It’s a noble instinct to want to try to do something to try to prevent future problems,” Smith said. “We don’t want other people to get hurt.

“But if you cut off storm chasing, you make some percent of storm warnings worse and you cut off a significant source of research to make future warnings better.”

One change Smith said he would support is to discourage chasers from entering the “bear’s cage” – that space between the large hail and heavy rain on the leading edge of a supercell thunderstorm and the tornado itself on the back side.

“Ten years ago, that was considered taboo – it was just too dangerous,” Smith said.

Getting into the bear’s cage offers chasers a clear view of the tornado, making for good video and photographs.

“More and more chasers have been tempted to get into the bear’s cage” to get better images than their competitors, Smith said. “That’s what a bunch of them were doing” Friday.

But there’s little margin for error if the tornado makes a sudden turn to the north or northeast, which is just what the El Reno tornado did.

The Norman branch of the National Weather Service is conducting more detailed research of the tornado’s track and meteorology.

Davies, who was tracking the storm Friday with his wife, Shawna, said the tornado quickly became shrouded in rain shortly after it touched down. It also moved erratically, coming east, then shifting slightly southeast before taking a hard northeast turn that caught many chasers off-guard.

“It was very hard to see,” he said. “I was having a heck of a time tracking it.”
Davies decided to dash south so they could stay clear of the tornado’s most likely path.

“When we were dropping south of the tornado, I remember Shawna saying, ‘I think some chaser’s going to die today,’ ” because so many were on the north side of the storm and wouldn’t be able to see the tornado until it was on them, Davies said.

Her words proved prophetic.

Smith said he’s worried that well-meaning people may react to Friday’s tragedy by enacting regulations that actually lead to more fatalities.

The top priority in improving tornado warnings, he said, should be to reduce the number of false alarms – times when warnings are issued but no tornado develops. Storm chasers can play a vital role in confirming whether tornadoes indicated on radar have actually touched down.

Davies, for one, said he plans to chase less and choose his chase days more carefully.

“Storm chasing is dangerous, serious business,” he said, “and once again we saw that on Friday.”

Contributing: Associated Press
http://www.kansas.com/2013/06/03/2830991/storm-chasers-deaths-in-okla-tornado.html

MSantos

Moderação
Registo
3 Out 2007
Local
Aveiras de Cima
Alguns dos vídeos aqui postados comprovam o risco que correm estes chasers sempre que se deparam e perseguem estes monstros. :unsure::unsure:.

Sanxito

Nimbostratus
Registo
18 Nov 2006
Local
Santa Marta do Pinhal - Corroios
NWS Norman ‏@NWSNorman 29 min
The El Reno tornado of May 31, 2013 is officially the widest known tornado in the U.S. Rated EF-5. http://ow.ly/i/2hfDG #okwx #txwx

Informação que retirei à 29 minutos do twitter.

Gerofil

Furacão
Registo
21 Mar 2007
Local
Estremoz
Call by Responsible Storm Chasers to Ban Reed Timmer Chasing Antics
(Posted on June 3, 2013 by warr1265)

It must be hell or heaven for Reed Timmer right now.

After promotion “getting to close” to violent tornadoes for the past seven years, he’s now facing a new kind of storm. Not only has the subject of “getting too close for no real purpose” become big news, he just lost several friends. Let’s hope to God he uses this heartbreaking moment to retire from inspiring others to follow his footsteps. But judging by his past ego-maniac, money making behavior, I’ll bet he finds a way to capitalize off this horrific event. Sick, but you mark my words.
There is a growing number of storm chasers who are asking for public and media retaliation against storm chaser Reed Timmer following the tragic events in El Reno, Oklahoma on June 1, 2013. Blog sites and discussion groups have come alive with complaints and in some instances harsh accusations regarding Timmer and the way he chases, in which many find to be reckless and deceptively reasoned.
Many found Timmers bragging about losing the hood to the Dominator after the El Reno tornado an insult. What kind of person braggs about losing parts of a car to a tornado — when a tornado just killed your friends? One might say Timmer’s protective bubble of carefully crafted public relations is finally being questioned.
Timmer, the storm chaser who ordained himself an “Idiot” after he purposely drive his car into a Nebraska tornado and nearly lost an eye, is under heavy fire following the tragic events near El Reno, Oklahoma that killed three storm chasers and injured three others. Timmer, known for his drama and shrill screams near tornadoes, is considered by many to be a major source of inspiration for “getting too close to tornadoes.”
Timmer, who claims to be a “scientist” out saving lives, appears to be more interested in You Tube, money making ventures. He recently raised over $130.00 through social media to fund a new (for profit and self-promotion) production. Ironically, he chose to use the money to make money instead of devoting the funds solely for science and public safety. Oh, and there is the new “Dominator.” A costly eye-catching gimmick no doubt. Even The Weather Channel’s Jim Cantore got wood when he saw it.
There is no evidence I’m aware of that Timmer has ever produced a peer-reviewed, scientific achievement and some believe his claims of getting close for “science” are only a cover to legitimize his money making productions. These events should also raise an eyebrow with sponsors who have been supporting Timmer for years, including Bosch. In fact, Bosch recently ran a commercial that shows Timmer guiding a driver speeding away from a tornado instead of taking shelter. At one point, they have to swerve to avoid a woman with a baby carriage. For a company that sells auto parts, this was pure PR stupidity.
The Weather Channel recently joined forces and promoted Timmer’s activities when meteorologist Jim Cantore teamed up with Timmer. On May 19, the duo drove dangerously close to a tornado near Edmond, OK. Ironically, during the El Reno tornado, Weather Channel host Mike Bettes was nearly killed when their “Tornado Hunt” vehicle was swept off highway 81 by the same tornado that killed scientific chaser Tim Samparas. One can draw their own conclusions as to the inspiration, but there is little doubt that reckless activity breeds reckless activity.
I would support other chasers, spotter and storm-related professionals to call for a media ban on Timmer to prevent further promotion of dangerous storm chasing, no matter what the purpose, legitimate or not. In addition, Timmer should “dismantle” his Dominator and return all money raised for his “production” in light of the recent tragedies.
Of course, this will never happen and more chasers will die. Trust me on this.

Warren

Fonte: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?biw=1099&bih=683&sclient=psy-ab&q=cache%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.warrenfaidley.com%2Fcall-by-responsible-storm-chasers-to-ban-reed-timmer-chasing-antics%2F&oq=cache%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.warrenfaidley.com%2Fcall-by-responsible-storm-chasers-to-ban-reed-timmer-chasing-antics%2F&gs_l=serp.3...1686.3497.1.4053.7.7.0.0.0.0.170.795.1j6.7.0...0.0.0..1c.1j2.15.serp.jhxmfaX6e3Y&psj=1

Vince

Furacão
Registo
23 Jan 2007
Local
Braga
Como já referiram, foi classificado como EF5 e chegou a ter um diâmetro de 4,2km, no que deverá ser um dos mais largos já registado. É contudo importante referir que no passado não havia os meios que existem hoje.

Talvez uma das explicações para pessoas tão experientes terem sido apanhadas ? Isso e aqueles vortices a saltar de todo o lado ? Estes tornados muito grandes parecem ser um mundo meio à parte.

DqwCYKD.jpg

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORMAN OK
1206 PM CDT TUE JUN 4 2013

...UPDATE ON MAY 31 EL RENO TORNADO...

METEOROLOGISTS WITH THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AND RESEARCHERS FROM
THE UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA CONTINUE TO INVESTIGATE INFORMATION
RELATED TO THE MAY 31 EL RENO TORNADO.

WITH THIS INVESTIGATION... THE TORNADO HAS BEEN UPGRADED TO AN EF5
TORNADO BASED ON VELOCITY DATA FROM THE RESEARCH MOBILE RADAR DATA
FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA RAXPOL RADAR. IN ADDITION... THE
WIDTH OF TORNADO WAS MEASURED BY THE MOBILE RADAR DATA TO BE 2.6