2 Sóis na Terra ainda este ano!!!

HotSpot

Cumulonimbus
Registo
20 Nov 2006
Local
Moita, Setubal
Explosão de estrela poderá originar dois sóis este ano

Um segundo Sol poderá ser observado a partir da Terra ainda este ano. De acordo com relatórios, uma estrela gigante, a Betelgeuse, transformar-se-á brevemente numa supernova, causando o fenómeno cósmico.

A confirmar-se, a explosão provocará o maior clarão da história do planeta.

Apesar de a estrela gigante estar localizada na constelação de Orion, a 640 anos-luz de distância, a explosão será tão violenta que tornará a noite em dia e será possível ver no céu dois sóis durante algumas semanas.

Os cientistas não conseguem prever a data exacta do fenómeno, mas a explosão da Betelgeuse está prevista para breve.

http://diariodigital.sapo.pt/news.asp?section_id=60&id_news=490858
------

Que cena marada. Alguém tem mais informação sobre isto?

Lousano

Cumulonimbus
Registo
12 Out 2008
Local
Lousã/Casais do Baleal
Explosão de estrela poderá originar dois sóis este ano

Um segundo Sol poderá ser observado a partir da Terra ainda este ano. De acordo com relatórios, uma estrela gigante, a Betelgeuse, transformar-se-á brevemente numa supernova, causando o fenómeno cósmico.

A confirmar-se, a explosão provocará o maior clarão da história do planeta.

Apesar de a estrela gigante estar localizada na constelação de Orion, a 640 anos-luz de distância, a explosão será tão violenta que tornará a noite em dia e será possível ver no céu dois sóis durante algumas semanas.

Os cientistas não conseguem prever a data exacta do fenómeno, mas a explosão da Betelgeuse está prevista para breve.

http://diariodigital.sapo.pt/news.asp?section_id=60&id_news=490858
------

Que cena marada. Alguém tem mais informação sobre isto?

Parece-me uma previsão acertada, com uma margem de erro mínima, estimada em 100.000 anos. :lmao:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/01/21/betelgeuse-explode-scientists-say/

actioman

Cumulonimbus
Registo
15 Fev 2008
Local
Elvas (~300m)
Como é que afirmas isso?

Fácil:

Ou seja aconteceu à 640 ano atrás. Isto baseando-me na notícia, se foi assim ou é mais um dos tais boatos catastrofistas-sensacionalistas, já não sei. ;)

Paulo H

Cumulonimbus
Registo
2 Jan 2008
Local
Castelo Branco 386m(489/366m)
Fácil:

Ou seja aconteceu à 640 ano atrás. Isto baseando-me na notícia, se foi assim ou é mais um dos tais boatos catastrofistas-sensacionalistas, já não sei. ;)

Exacto!

O nosso Sol poderia explodir neste preciso instante e só darmos por isso 8 minutos depois! (e nem a presença de um satélite por perto serviria para nos avisar da explosão)

Betelgeuse é de facto uma gigante vermelha, que pode até já ter explodido. O que a comunidade científica refere é que poderiamos avistar a explosão desta estrela nas próximas décadas! (mas nada é seguro afirmar, é apenas uma estimativa) com um erro enormissimo! Enfim não são assim tantas as explosões de estrelas que testemunhamos, digamos que, posteriormente aos astronomos chineses terem avistado uma explosão já há milhares de anos atrás, digamos que testemunhamos mais 2 ou 3 no máximo! Portanto a experiência cientifica baseada na observação, não é assim muita..

Lousano

Cumulonimbus
Registo
12 Out 2008
Local
Lousã/Casais do Baleal
Fácil:

E para saberem que já explodiu há 640 atrás, eles utilizaram este famoso astrónomo:

88282310.jpg

Mário Barros

Furacão
Registo
18 Nov 2006
Local
Maçores (Torre de Moncorvo) / Algueirão (Sintra)
Isto faz lembrar aquelas história de Júpiter ir explodir devido há intensa atmosfera de hidrogénio e um satélite cair lá e provocar a explosão :lmao: uma cena assim, acho que foi há 2 anos isso, todos os anos saem assim umas noticias bombásticas de algo a dar pro torto lá fora.

Agreste

Furacão
Registo
29 Out 2007
Local
Terra
Espero que se aguente durante mais uns bons milénios. Está demasiado próxima de nós e é 14x a massa do Sol...

HotSpot

Cumulonimbus
Registo
20 Nov 2006
Local
Moita, Setubal
Pelo que pesquisei, esta notícia é falsa, ou não!!!

É falsa porque não há uma certeza que aconteça este ano. Mas também pode ser verdade porque pode realmente acontecer este ano...ou nos próximos 1000.

Não relacionem com teorias do 2012 porque mesmo a acontecer não teria qualquer impacto sobre a terra.

Mas que gostava de assistir a isto .. isso gostava.

Teles

Cumulonimbus
Registo
7 Dez 2007
Local
Rio Maior
Rumors of Betelgeuse’s death have been greatly exaggerated.

Despite some recent, breathless reports on the star Betelgeuse going supernova and ’sploding all over the place, temporarily adding a second sun in the Earth sky but also possibly proving the Mayans correct in their assumption that the world will end in 2012, none of this is likely to happen. As awesome as all of that might be. Well, the ’sploding/second sun part, at least. And actually, Betelgeuse has been “dying” for a while. You might call it the Dr. Mark Greene of stars.

Phil Plait, who writes the Bad Astronomy blog at Discover, has given us all the pleasure of dispelling the silly rumors that the most famous star in Orion is going to explode by the end of next year by mercilessly mocking other blogs who reported this as fact. Namely, news.com.au and “bastion of antiscience,” The Huffington Post:

It’s the question of when that the two articles go off the rails. Betelgeuse may explode tomorrow night, or it may not go kerblooie until the year 100,000 A.D. We don’t know. But given that huge range, the odds of it blowing up next year are pretty slim. And clearly, the original article was really trying to tie in the 2012 date to this, even when it has nothing to do with anything. The tie-in was a rickety link to scuttlebutt on the web about it, but that’s about it. [Emphasis his]

What’s worse, the HuffPo article attributes the date to Dr. Carter himself, but in the original article he never says anything about it; the connection is all made by the article author. Given how popular HuffPo is, I imagine a lot of people will now think an actual scientist is saying Betelgeuse will blow up in 2012.

Plait goes on to say that while he’s glad no one misrepresented the supposed danger of Betelgeuse exploding (it’s way too far away), an explosion from over 600 light years away would never show up on Earth’s horizon in a way that it would look like a second sun, let alone provide a sun’s worth of heat and light. He does, however think it would be incredibly cool if it did happen, “a huge boon to astronomy,” and a great reason for everyone to go star-gazing since Betelgeuse can be seen from nearly every part of the Earth except for the South Pole. He adds:

Far from being a harbinger of doomsday, it might actually be the single greatest benefit to astronomy that’s happened in hundreds of years.​

http://www.geekosystem.com/betelgeuse-exploding/

Vince

Furacão
Registo
23 Jan 2007
Local
Braga
Sempre que correm essas notícias sensacionalistas de coisas que tenham a ver com astronomia, etc, passem primeiro pelo blogue Bad Astronomy do Phil Plait, que há imensos anos se dedica a explicar, a descodificar ou a desmontar se for o caso, a maior parte dessas "estórias".

I swear, I need to trust my instincts. As soon as I saw the article on the news.com.au site desperately trying to link Betelgeuse going supernova with the nonsense about the Mayans and 2012, my gut reaction was to write about it.

But no, I figured a minute later, this story would blow over. So to speak.

I should’ve known: instead of going away, it gets picked up by that bastion of antiscience, The Huffington Post.

Grrrr.

The actual science in the original article is pretty good; they talked with scientist Brad Carter who discusses the scenario of Betelgeuse going supernova. The whole story is pretty interesting — I wrote about it in detail the last time there was nonsense about Betelgeuse blowing up — but in a nutshell Betelgeuse is a red supergiant star in Orion with about 20 times the mass of the Sun, and it’s very near the end of its life. When stars this massive die, they explode as supernovae. The distance to Betelgeuse is unclear (it has a very puffy outer atmosphere which makes distance determination somewhat dicey) but it’s something like a bit more than 600 light years, way way too far away to hurt us.

It’s the question of when that the two articles go off the rails. Betelgeuse may explode tomorrow night, or it may not go kerblooie until the year 100,000 A.D. We don’t know. But given that huge range, the odds of it blowing up next year are pretty slim. And clearly, the original article was really trying to tie in the 2012 date to this, even when it has nothing to do with anything. The tie-in was a rickety link to scuttlebutt on the web about it, but that’s about it.

What’s worse, the HuffPo article attributes the date to Dr. Carter himself, but in the original article he never says anything about it; the connection is all made by the article author. Given how popular HuffPo is, I imagine a lot of people will now think an actual scientist is saying Betelgeuse will blow up in 2012.

OK then, tell you what: I’m an actual scientist, and I would give the odds of Betelgeuse going supernova in 2012 at all — let alone close to December, the supposed doomsdate — as many thousands to one against. It’s not impossible, it’s just really really really really really really really unlikely.

Really.

[UPDATE: CNN, Time, and other sites have picked up on this as well, mostly just repeating what was said in HuffPo. Fox News got it right, quoting me from my earlier Betelgeuse article, but I had to laugh: they got my blog name and host wrong, and the link they put up for me goes to my friend Ian O'Neill's article!]

I’m glad that both articles are clear that there is no danger from the star if and when it explodes. It’s simply too far away to do us any physical harm; a supernova would have to be within 25 light years or so before it would start to do measurable damage to Earth, and it would have to be much closer before that harm rose to the level of actual danger.

At 600+ light years, a supernova would be pretty bright, but hardly bright enough to be a second Sun, as both article say. Sorry, no Tatooine-like sunsets for us. It wouldn’t even be as bright as the full Moon, really, but certainly far brighter than Venus. Enough to cast a shadow, which would actually be pretty cool.

And even better would be the science! Oh my, a close supernova like that would be a huge boon to astronomy. The ones we see are all so far away that details are too small to detect, but one that close would be like having it under the microscope*. We’d learn a huge amount. The funny thing is, it would be so bright astronomers would have a hard time using their best equipment, which would get swamped with all that light. I wonder how many amateur astronomers would suddenly find themselves able to do science the professionals couldn’t…

And of course, the best thing of all in having Betelgeuse explode is that it would bring billions of people outside and looking up. Betelgeuse is in a part of the sky that makes it visible everywhere on Earth but pretty much the south pole. Far from being a harbinger of doomsday, it might actually be the single greatest benefit to astronomy that’s happened in hundreds of years.

Take that, Mayan apocalypse fearmongers!

Tip o’ the lead shield to kk074. Image credits: ESO; IOTA; NASA/ESA.

[UPDATE: I just saw that my pal astronomer Ian O'Neill has written about this as well, and he noticed a lot of the same stuff I did about the articles.]
http://mblogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/01/21/betelgeuse-and-2012/

Aristocrata

Super Célula
Registo
28 Dez 2008
Local
Paços de Ferreira, 292 mts
Vai ser bom...com a crise e a retirada de metade do subsídio das férias para 2012, nada mais nos resta que gozar metade das férias.
Mas como teremos 2 sóis, não haverá mal algum: bronzeamo-nos 2 vezes mais rápido!
:huhlmao::malandro:

Agora mais a sério: é de todo impossível prever quando se dará uma supernova, sendo que eventuais previsões apontem sempre para distâncias temporais de centenas ou milhares de anos até isso acontecer.
Há estrelas em processos dinâmicos de expansão que se sabe que acabarão como supernovas, mas não há ninguém (sério) no âmbito dos astrónomos, cientistas, etc., que possam afirmar convictamente que se dará uma supernova em determinada estrela daqui por 1, 2, 3 anos.
São notícias que o jornalismo de "vão de escada" se limita a reproduzir sem que para isso questione gente do meio - falta profissionalismo em parte do nosso jornalismo actual.:(