Os locais mas quentes do sur de Espanha

Ferreiro

Nimbostratus
Registo
3 Dez 2010
Local
A Corunha
Ja temos a temperatura media dos primeiros 10 días de maio. Nao ha sorpresas, e é Sevilla-CMT o local mais quente com 20,88ºC, ainda que com bastantes días sem dados. Posivelmente Andujar terá media mais alta, mas os ultimos días a estaçao de AEMET em Andujar nao suministrou dados de temperatura.
Depois de Sevilla está Rincon de la victoria tamén com quase 21ºC, a ademais com quase todos os dados completos. É o primeiro local em costa, por diante de El Ejido (Almería), Cartagena ou Malaga Puerto.

Amending

Cirrus
Registo
14 Mar 2011
Local
Italia
It is strange that again you are hypothesizing that this is indeed the Nea Filadelfia station without a doubt and at the same time do not accept that the junk station of AEMET for Seville as was seen from the photos in the forum.This is a logical fallacy isnt it?Given that both photo views come without any confirmation either by AEMET or HNMS but from various sources.

Here the response of HNMS. I had sent them these links

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/8339/emystathmosfiladelfia1.jpg

http://www.meteoclub.gr/themata/egkyklopedia/1801-met-stathmos-emy-filadelfia

http://wikimapia.org/12566307/el/Μετεωρολογικός-Σταθμός-Νέας-Φιλαδέλφειας-Ε-Μ-Υ

asking if they accurately identify the HNMS Nea Filadelfia weather station.

Código:
Oggetto: 	RE: Nea Filadelfia weather station
Da: 	********@hnms.gr
A: 	<********@********.it>
Data: 	12/05/2011 10:07

Dear *******,

Your message reached me a while ago. I apologize for the delayed response.

The picture you sent me is from Nea Philadelphia Meteorological Station, which closed last year.

Sorry, but I cannot give you any details about shelters used.

Best Regards,

Athanasios D. Sarantopoulos, Ph.D.
-----------------------------------------------------------
HELLENIC NATIONAL METEOROLOGICAL SERVICE
Division of Climatology - Applications
14 E. Venizelou Street,  16777 Hellinikon, Greece
phone: +30(210)9699032,   fax:  +30(210)9628952
http://www.hnms.gr, E-mail: ********@hnms.gr
-----------------------------------------------------------

(I have deleted some details, especially Dr. Sarantopoulos' email in order to avoid an inundation of spam)

I had asked him also about the shelters technology (Stevenson vs multiplate vs coaxial pipes, passive vs fan-aspirated etcetera).

The bad news is that he says the station was closed (without saying temporarily) last year. We will miss that station. Nostalgia, I'm afraid, is a thing we have to get used to.

Ferreiro

Nimbostratus
Registo
3 Dez 2010
Local
A Corunha
The location of Seville Airport is very different from Athens-Nea Philadelphia (or Athens-Thiseio). Sevilla-Airport is on the outskirts of the city, while those stations in Athens are all within the city.
The heat island is much more intense in Athens, of course.
The location of the stations in Athens is very similar to the Lisbon RUEMA weather stations.

Amending

Cirrus
Registo
14 Mar 2011
Local
Italia
The urban effect is much greater inside Athens, than inside Lisbon ( in similar conditions of course).

Here a short result based on

The authors analyze 12 years of data (3 hours spanned) from 1990 to 2001. I am not sure if this table refers to the full sample or only to the temperature measured at 6:00 am. However, this is the distribution of the temperature difference between the Nea Filadelfia station and one rural reference station at the same altitude they observe .

where we see that in about 56% of the days a UHI >= 1°C is observed. Elementary computation under mild assumptions* suggest that the yearly average UHI is 1,54°C, that is not so much, I expected something more.
Do we have any data for Lisbon?

* The assumptions are that for UHI class 1, the mean UHI equals -1.5°C and in the UHI class 7 the mean UHI is equal to 4,5°C (the midrange between the extremes of each class assuming that class 1 = -1/-2 and class 7 = +4/+5).

belem

Cumulonimbus
Registo
10 Out 2007
Local
Sintra/Carcavelos/Óbidos
Maybe we could compare data of EMA vs RUEMA of Lisbon, but honestly, Athens has much more people and CO2 than in Lisbon, it´s also a bigger city...
I think that the answer is clear.

Amending

Cirrus
Registo
14 Mar 2011
Local
Italia
Maybe we could compare data of EMA vs RUEMA of Lisbon, but honestly, Athens has much more people and CO2 than in Lisbon, it´s also a bigger city...
I think that the answer is clear.

I would not be sure of that without empirical data at hand, but I (intuitively) agree. But note that a) climatological data for Lisboa (from Wikipedia English) are very very similar to the athenian ones and 2) UHI intensity does not depend only and deterministically on city size (but also in shape, synoptic conditions, building materials etcetera). I have recently found an average yearly difference urban centre-suburban airport of 0,8°C for a 30.000 inhabitants alpine town, and a figure of 1,3°C difference in yearly averages between central park and suburban airport for another 36.000 inhabitants alpine town. +1.5°C for a metropolis like Athens is not so bad. Unfortunately the Nea Filadelfia station is shadowed and this confuses things further.

One consideration that must be done is that even if we correct Athens means for UHI, what we get is nevertheless a very warm city. The main point with Athens is that its heat shuld not be overemphasized, as it is affected by UHI, but UHI is not omnipotent. Athens would be very warm also without UHI. Unfortunately we do not know how much warm, and as the Athens basin is now almost totally covered by the city, in my opinion we can no longer discover or estimate it.

belem

Cumulonimbus
Registo
10 Out 2007
Local
Sintra/Carcavelos/Óbidos
I would not be sure of that without empirical data at hand, but I (intuitively) agree. But note that a) climatological data for Lisboa (from Wikipedia English) are very very similar to the athenian ones and 2) UHI intensity does not depend only and deterministically on city size (but also in shape, synoptic conditions, building materials etcetera).

I agree 100 % with you. For example, when limestone is employed on buildings it keeps the warmth for much more time.

I have recently found an average yearly difference urban centre-suburban airport of 0,8°C for a 30.000 inhabitants alpine town, and a figure of 1,3°C difference in yearly averages between central park and suburban airport for another 36.000 inhabitants alpine town. +1.5°C for a metropolis like Athens is not so bad. Unfortunately the Nea Filadelfia station is shadowed and this confuses things further.

One consideration that must be done is that even if we correct Athens means for UHI, what we get is nevertheless a very warm city. The main point with Athens is that its heat shuld not be overemphasized, as it is affected by UHI, but UHI is not omnipotent. Athens would be very warm also without UHI. Unfortunately we do not know how much warm, and as the Athens basin is now almost totally covered by the city, in my opinion we can no longer discover or estimate it.

Yes, is still warm anyway. :)

Ferreiro

Nimbostratus
Registo
3 Dez 2010
Local
A Corunha
Classificaçao dos primeiros 15 días de maio em estaçaos de AEMET segundo os resumenes diarios publicados na web de AEMET.

Nao há sorpresas. As 3 estaçaos de Sevilla (CMT, San Pablo e Tablada) estao nos tres primeiros postos, ja que Andujar nao publicou dados na ultima semana :angry:.

Na costa a primeira cidade é Rincon de la victoria (provincia de Malaga), depois as cidades da costa de Almería e San Fernando (provincia de Cadiz).

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
For now we have no pictures of Eleusina, but now we have this piece of information

http://do.pasok.gr/magoula/?p=73

http://translate.google.com/transla.../?p=73&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.it&twu=1

(here in Spanish: http://translate.google.com/transla.../?p=73&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.it&twu=1)

I was not satisfied with the Kassomenos & Katsoulis (2006) hypothesis that thermal pollution due to industrial heat island accounted for the circumstance that Elefsina is over 70% of the days warmer than the urban station of Nea Philadelphia (which is well known for being affected by the strong urban heat island of Athens). I was not persuaded that industries waste so much energy. The extra-contribution of metal boxes and cars is instead very persuasive. :thumbsup: Metal boxes under the sun may jump in a while to 100°C, as well as dark cars surfaces. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
It would be interesting now to examine how often Elefsina set its record highs on sunday, when productive activities are reduced. For now I can say only that 11 jul 1977 was on monday.

I think maybe on Sunday the whole of Athens basin warms up.Probably it has to do with the word ''Sun'' that is included in the name :lmao:

Spare us please my Italian friend.It is Elefsina and Tatoi to have Europe's official record no matter how many articles you write in Italian blogs.

Speaking about blogs though,here is an interesting one from Greece,talking about Europe's official record held from Athens and at the same time referring to the statement made from the Greek Ministry of Climate Change about Athens and its ability to register up to 50C in Europe!

Enjoy from Greece's biggest blog
http://tro-ma-ktiko.blogspot.com/20...utm_campaign=Feed:+blogspot/hyMBI+(tromaktiko)

Παρασκευή, 6 Μαΐου 2011
Αθήνα : πανευρωπαϊκό ρεκόρ θερμοκρασίας με 48.0°c το 1977 ενω συντομα στους 50.0°c σύμφωνα με τις αρχές

Το ξερετε οτι οσοι ζουμε στην Αθηνα εχουμε την ‘’τυχη’’ να ζουμε στην θερμοτερη πολη της Ευρωπης το καλοκαιρι;
Συμφωνα με τον Παγκοσμιο Μετεωρολογικο Οργανισμο (WMO) η Αθηνα εχει καταγραψει την υψηλοτερη θερμοκρασια στην Ευρωπη με 48 βαθμους Κελσιου .
Η θερμοκρασια αυτη καταγραφηκε στις 10 Ιουλιου 1977 στην Ελευσινα και στο Τατοι.Προκειται για την υψηλοτερη θερμοκρασια που εχει ποτε σημειωθει στην Ευρωπαικη Ηπειρο απο επισημους επαγγελματικους μετεωρολογικους σταθμους. Μια θερμοκρασια που δεν εχει μετρηθει ποτε αλλοτε σε επισημο επιπεδο.

http://wmo.asu.edu/europe-highest-temperature

Η ιδιαιτερα πολυπλοκη γεωμορφολογια της Αθηνας καθιστα την πολη ευαισθητη σε εξαιρετικα θερμα καλοκαιρια μιας και τα βουνα που την περικυκλωνουν ειναι υπευθυνα για την εξαιρετικα ασφυκτικη κατασταση που βιωνει η Αθηνα το καλοκαιρι,καθως εκεινα μπλοκαρουν το μελτεμι και καθιστουν την Αθηνα το Ευρωπαικο καμινι.
Μαλιστα ο εκπρόσωπος της χώρας μας Δημήτρης Λάλας,προειδοποίησε ότι τα επόμενα χρόνια η θερμοκρασία στην Αθήνα μπορεί να φτάσει στους 50 βαθμούς Κελσίου και η στάθμη της θάλασσας να ανέβει κατά ένα μέτρο, με μη αναστρέψιμες επιπτώσεις στις καλλιέργειες και τον τουρισμό.
Τις βιβλικές καταστροφές που προκαλεί το φαινόμενο του θερμοκηπίου στο περιβάλλον, περιέγραψαν αναλυτικά εκπρόσωποι από 13 Μεσογειακές χώρες κατά την διάρκεια του διήμερου συνεδρίου για την κλιματική αλλαγή που διοργανώθηκε με πρωτοβουλία του Πρωθυπουργού και αποσκοπεί στην αφύπνιση των μικρών κρατών απέναντι στον Αρμαγεδώνα του κλίματος.

http://www.deltiokairou.gr/news/50-vathmoi-kelsioy-se-liga-xronia-sthn-athhna.831131.html

Ειναι εξαιρετικα σημαντικο οι Αθηναιοι να γνωριζουν πως η πολη τους εχει το δυναμικο να καταγραφει τις υψηλοτερες θερμοκρασιες στην Ευρωπη και πως ενδεχεται να ειναι η πρωτη περιοχη στην ηπειρο που θα δει 50 βαθμους . Οι κατοικοι της Αθηνας οφειλουν να ενημερωνονται συστηματικα για τις επιπτωσεις που θα εχουν τετοιες θερμοκρασιες .Ηδη οι Αθηναιοι γνωριζουν απο πρωτο χερι το καλοκαιρι καμινι της πρωτευουσας,παραμενει ομως επιτακτικη αναγκη να βρισκονται σε συνεχη εγρηγορση για θερμοκρασιες ρεκορ.

Btw the article was posted on a Friday so we are in the safe zone of ''non-Sundays''

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
The bad news is that he says the station was closed (without saying temporarily) last year. We will miss that station. Nostalgia, I'm afraid, is a thing we have to get used to.

Dont get ur hopes up though.According to the counsil of Nea Filadelfia the station is planned to open ''once renovations are over'' see my article posted a few months ago ;)