Weak auroraborealis here, 27/09/2011

J.S.

Cumulus
Registo
26 Nov 2005
Local
Middelburg, Holanda
Apparantly I missed out on a nice show. Nothing spectacular, but I was half an hour too late. Anyways: I was one of the very few in NL who saw them because clouds were in the way. That is why I wasn't too late after all. At 21.15 there were clouds over here aswell.

1920112718460.jpg

1920112719462.jpg

1920112719461.jpg

AnDré

Moderação
Registo
22 Nov 2007
Local
Odivelas (140m) / Várzea da Serra (930m)
Apparantly I missed out on a nice show. Nothing spectacular, but I was half an hour too late. Anyways: I was one of the very few in NL who saw them because clouds were in the way. That is why I wasn't too late after all. At 21.15 there were clouds over here aswell.

Great J.S.! ;)

Aurora on the Faroe Islands.

oyaurora.jpg

Just before 12:00 UTC Monday, the ACE Spacecraft detected a solar wind increase to over 700 km/s at its peak. This indicated the arrival of a the Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) sweeping past the spacecraft which was the result of a long duration M7.1 Solar Flare on Sept. 24. The Bz had titled sharply south at times (-30nT) and a Strong G3 to G4 Level Geomagnetic Storm occurred at high latitudes. Less severe Geomagnetic Storming took place at middle latitudes. Because the timing of the CME shock was early in the day, visible Aurora would have favored Europe and not here in North America. There have since been periods of sporadic storming at high latitudes, but is expected to become quieter during the day on Tuesday.

ecobcg

Super Célula
Registo
10 Abr 2008
Local
Sitio das Fontes e Carvoeiro (Lagoa - Algarve)
Já agora, coloco mais esta foto (brutal!) da aurora na zona da Noruega:

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER: A coronal mass ejection (CME) hit Earth's magnetic field around noon Universal Time on Sept. 26th. The impact set the stage for a night to remember. As soon as darkness fell over Scandinavia, auroras filled the sky with such intensity that they were visible through rain clouds. Fredrik Broms photographed the scene from Kvaløya, Norway:

Fredrik-Broms1_strip.jpg

"These were some of the most amazing auroras I have ever seen," says Broms, a longtime observer of the Arctic lights. "The colours were absolutely stunning with purple and deep blood-red in addition to the green. It was a night I will never forget!

http://www.spaceweather.com/

J.S.

Cumulus
Registo
26 Nov 2005
Local
Middelburg, Holanda
Well..I was too late. Apparantly about an hour before we had a real nice display.
|Corona's like on the fantastic pics over here are rare in NL. I saw them in 200 and 2003. In 2003, I eventually had to look to the south to see the aurora. It was somewhere above France I guess.

Well, this one was on Dutch National Televison, also shot by me. A bit better but it pales to the what we saw in 2000-2005 period. But the next few years will bring the aurora's back. Other displays this year were augustus and may. In august, it was just the green band higher up in the sky. I like the greenband with read/purple above it much more.

BUt htis one, from the same night...could be worse...

410CE4E3EE854981BFFBE510D9E1884B.jpg