Fechado para novas mensagens.

Ferreiro

Nimbostratus
Registo
3 Dez 2010
Local
A Corunha
Link to those Thiseio averages?

Costa posted official data and personally I’m starting to feel annoyed of all these senseless talk of “mine is bigger than yours, my city is hotter than yours, we’re the best, blá, blá…

For me what counts is official data!

Have you official data that support your argumentation if yes, go ahead and tell us, otherwise I prefer to believe in real data!

Sim, podes consultar os dados do periodo 1930-1960 e do periodo 1960-1990:

http://www.meteo.noa.gr/ENG/iersd_climat-table.htm

1960-1990. Xulho 27,0ºC, Agosto 26,6ºC. Temperatura media anual 17,7ºC.

De novo há que advertir que a estaçao está localizada no centro geografico de Atenas, com uma enorme ilha de calor.

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
Link to those Thiseio averages?

Costa posted official data and personally I’m starting to feel annoyed of all these senseless talk of “mine is bigger than yours, my city is hotter than yours, we’re the best, blá, blá…

For me what counts is official data!

Have you official data that support your argumentation if yes, go ahead and tell us, otherwise I prefer to believe in real data!

I think you missed my link above.Now regarding the rhetorics I can adjust if you find it insulting.My point is that Athens for the same period of 1971-2000 is warmer than Seville from official WMO stations as indicated by the data readily available in the climatic bulletins of the National Observatory of Athens

vitamos

Super Célula
Registo
11 Dez 2007
Local
Estarreja
Sim, podes consultar os dados do periodo 1930-1960 e do periodo 1960-1990:

http://www.meteo.noa.gr/ENG/iersd_climat-table.htm

1960-1990. Xulho 27,0ºC, Agosto 26,6ºC. Temperatura media anual 17,7ºC.

De novo há que advertir que a estaçao está localizada no centro geografico de Atenas, com uma enorme ilha de calor.

E mesmo assim as médias de Sevilha são ligeiramente superiores, com uma diferença reduzida? Não percebo a dúvida nem a guerra...

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
Ok maybe you guys have problem locating the files in the link I provided.You need to check under ''monthly bulletins'' in the left hand upper corner and then check for the month of interest.

Alternatively here are the data from screenshots

June

junlt.jpg

July

july.jpg

August

augy.jpg

As you can see vitamos from the official data of the National Observatory of Athens for the station of Thiseio with WMO id 16714 for the directly comparable period of 1971-2000 Athens is substantially warmer to Seville during the summer

Ferreiro

Nimbostratus
Registo
3 Dez 2010
Local
A Corunha

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
Tambem ha que explicar que a estaçao meteorologica de thiseio nao é uma estaçao oficial do HMNS (a instituçao oficial em Grecia):

http://www.hnms.gr/hnms/english/climatology/climatology_html

A estaçao de Thiseio é propiedade do NAO uma instituçao de astronomía:
http://www.noa.gr/indexen.html

I always find funny this argument.The station is a WMO station and its data is communicated through HNMS to the WMO.

The important thing is the WMO affiliation.Also this station is the oldest in Greece with a well document history of more than 160 years.Its database is huge and certainly the most historic in the Balkans and in all of south europe!

vitamos

Super Célula
Registo
11 Dez 2007
Local
Estarreja
Ok maybe you guys have problem locating the files in the link I provided.You need to check under ''monthly bulletins'' in the left hand upper corner and then check for the month of interest.

Alternatively here are the data from screenshots

June

junlt.jpg

July

july.jpg

August

augy.jpg

As you can see vitamos from the official data of the National Observatory of Athens for the station of Thiseio with WMO id 16714 for the directly comparable period of 1971-2000 Athens is substantially warmer to Seville during the summer

Ok thanks! Now we have some data... However from a climatological point view we have here a real problem. Different data from different stations. Which ones are comparable? At this moment I confirm the problem that has been placed here and other topics… Independently from different points of view or “passions” we’ll always be circling around the some without concluding anything in concrete.

Ferreiro

Nimbostratus
Registo
3 Dez 2010
Local
A Corunha
I always find funny this argument.The station is a WMO station and its data is communicated through HNMS to the WMO.

The important thing is the WMO affiliation.Also this station is the oldest in Greece with a well document history of more than 160 years.Its database is huge and certainly the most historic in the Balkans and in all of south europe!

A túa resposta é um absurdo completo. Ter ilha de calor nao implica nao poder ser membro do WMO. Nao tem nada que ver. Uma estaçao poder ter uma ilha de calor inmensa e ser membro do WMO. É completamente compativel.

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
Ok thanks! Now we have some data... However from a climatological point view we have here a real problem. Different data from different stations. Which ones are comparable? At this moment I confirm the problem that has been placed here and other topics… Independently from different points of view or “passions” we’ll always be circling around the some without concluding anything in concrete.

True but I think the dynamic factor for Athens and to be honest for most of south europe is the trend we are seeing for warmer summers which is mostly attributed to the natural cyclic patterns of climate change at least in south europe.

I must draw your attention on the data of the last decade,from 2001 to 2011 (you can find those in the climatic bulletins ). The summer difference between Athens and Seville is huge...in fact Athens comes out warmer by more than 1.2C for the whole summer in terms of means compared to Seville in the last decade and this with the realization that Seville had some pretty nasty and warm summers as well.

If you check the last decade data,you will not find a single year that Athens does not come out warmer in the summer compared to Seville

Now this is very important considering that Athens is a metropolis of almost 5million people and the heat stress during the summer is a limiting factor for almost 35% of Greece's population which lives in Athens.This is why Athens is gaining momentum internationally in research regarding its warm summer climatology.We are talking about associated costs,lowering of quality of life and potential human life loss apart from the huge sociological impact this constant warming has in the Greek capital

Ferreiro

Nimbostratus
Registo
3 Dez 2010
Local
A Corunha
Lembro que o ano pasado Sevilla aeroporto superou os 40ºC umas 10 vezes. Andujar os superou mais de 20 vezes. Cantas vezes sucedeu o mesmo em Atenas? Acho que nenhuma.
As medias de Atenas subem pelas suas minima altas, e nao se pode negar a ilha de calor no tema das temperaturas minimas, mas em promedio de maximas sempre queda moito longe doutras regioes da peninsula iberica.

Inclusive este mes de xulho, que é mais frio do habitual na peninsula iberica, sevilla ja superou os 40ºC, e tambem os superou em xunho. Atenas nao.

vitamos

Super Célula
Registo
11 Dez 2007
Local
Estarreja
This are the averages. Anything else are just random years selected tendentiously. :thumbsup:

2v9f3vd.png

Costa,here are the updated data for Athens for 1971-2000 for temperature and 1961-1990 for rain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athens

thiseio.jpg

Ok, now we have comparable data. Let’s start globally. The simple mean (which is the compared data that he have) show us that Thissio and Sevilla have similar annual mean temperatures (Sevilla 18,6ºC , Thissios 18,3ºC). Athens and Thissio stations present similar mean maximum values. Sevilla here leads clearly. One difference here regards to minimum temperatures. In fact Athens present higher minimum temperatures in summer. During this period that trends leads to comparable values of mean temperature. In a global analysis, I see quite similar data with higher values of minimum temperature in Athens, facing more extreme maximum temperatures in summer in Sevilla, leading global equilibrium on mean values. Collecting all data, I can’t understand some argumentation here. I don’t see with all this OFFICIAL DATA, in what kind of way Athens “destroy” Sevilla (whatever that means)…

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
Leaving aside my rhetorics of ''destroying'' which were aimed at a particular member from Spain with a fixation for Athens

I am not reffering to annual means but summer means.In that sense Athens has clearly the lead as is also the case for the extreme values (ie temps over 45C) during the summer

In this way we understand that officially the warmest area of Europe is Athens during the summer
and also with an extreme dynamic in extreme temps.For example the European record and various temps over 45C.I am merely saying that a peninsula by the sea such as Attica is the European ''leader'' in heat as this is shown by the summer means AND extreme temps dynamic and not an area in inland Iberia

Btw Vitamos its Thissio and it is the most historic and representative station of Athens.It is the one used and cited most in meteorology research in Greece.A history of 160 years data at the heart of Athens in its tallest hill!

Now let's see if we can manage this 50C!

vitamos

Super Célula
Registo
11 Dez 2007
Local
Estarreja
Leaving aside my rhetorics of ''destroying'' which were aimed at a particular member from Spain with a fixation for Athens

I am not reffering to annual means but summer means.In that sense Athens has clearly the lead as is also the case for the extreme values (ie temps over 45C) during the summer

In this way we understand that officially the warmest area of Europe is Athens during the summer

None official data including the one you shown evidences that...

Estado
Fechado para novas mensagens.