Estado
Fechado para novas mensagens.

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
I think this needs a topic of its own.Worthwhile debate on Climate Change with Athens being central as usual when it comes to extreme summer heat.

According to the Greek Ministry of Environment, Energy and Climate Change, Athens could experience huge problems from the climate change in the Med.The Ministry says that Athens might even experience 50°C in the coming years due to its susceptibility to extreme heat and the ongoing climatic changes in the wider area.A very interesting read indeed.

Let me remind you that Athens holds the European temperature record according to the WMO with 48°C

Here is the article of the newspaper TO PROTO THEMA (google translated)

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&l...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Devastating consequences of overconsumption of water, reducing rainfall and extreme weather caused the Mediterranean worsening climate change and the increasingly frequent droughts in sub-Saharan Africa is expected to lead to increased illegal immigration.

The temperature in Athens can climb to 50 degrees in a few years, sea levels will rise by one meter and the impact on farming and tourism are irreversible, said Dimitris Lalas representative of our country's climate and Director of Environment Minister Tina Birbili.

Biblical disasters caused by global warming on the environment, described in detail representatives from 13 Mediterranean countries during the two-day conference on climate change held at the initiative of Prime Minister and aims at awakening the small states against the climate Armageddon.

Advocate the idea of ??setting up a group of Mediterranean countries, large and small to be seen together the themes of change and protostastisei in international fora to address climate change, see the Environment Minister Tina Birbili, suggesting a systematic effort at adaptation measures in energy, industry and agricultural production.

Small basket for Cancun

One year after the sinking concluded in Copenhagen where the political commitment not to exceed the global temperature 2 degrees Celsius in the coming years, the world comes to a second date next December in Cancun in Mexico.

But at this meeting the participants go holding a small basket. Mr. Lalas believes that the messages for the new negotiations is positive and states that are in danger of reaching the 2012 expiring Kyoto Protocol without continuity.

According to the Director of the European Commissioner for Climate Action Ms. Connie Chedegkor 'expectations for Mexican summit is more modest than last year's conference and Cancun is only an intermediate step in concluding a comprehensive and legally binding global agreement climate.

On his own estimate for future negotiations expressed during the previous days, the former Environment Commissioner Stavros Dimas. As said, the international agreement energized by the inaction of the U.S. and featured significant cooperation between Mediterranean countries, which should find a common component in the different goals set by each one separately.

Big crunch to meet the goals remains the financing of new investments even in times of economic recession and high volatility.

The European Investment Bank appears willing to finance their respective operations, although as emphasized representatives will be required each country to develop its own investment plan. It is estimated that the Bank will raise the level of investment aimed at tackling climate change 25% of annual funding.

stormy

Super Célula
Registo
7 Ago 2008
Local
Lisboa
I think that in some Greek basins it´s possible to reach 48º-49º....but since those basins are close to the sea they´re more susceptible of having very warm humid nights that joined with the warm days ( 35º) can cause high disconfort.

In my opinion the warmest areas of Greece are way too much influenced by the Mediterranean Marine boundary layer, that keeps those places from reaching values above 42º degrees consistently.

In the Iberian peninsula the low level plains of S Portugal and central/SW Spain are more likely of getting 50º because they are not influenced by the sea and there are greater chances of having fohen and compressive/advectional warming as the air travels westward loosing moisture and heating as compressed due to the lowering altitude and high solar radiance..
In SE Spain the fohen as well as the mechanisms i explained ar joined to cause even further warming ( NW flow required in this situation).

Let´s say Greek´s biggest deal are the steadiness of high mean daily values, in the other hand Iberia may have to deal with extreme but maybe not as durable heat waves... specially notorious on the max temp records.

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
I think that in some Greek basins it´s possible to reach 48º-49º....but since those basins are close to the sea they´re more susceptible of having very warm humid nights that joined with the warm days ( 35º) can cause high disconfort.

Well for Athens this is not the case exactly.In terms of humidity initially it has to be mentioned that Hellenikon in the coast of Athens is actually the driest and least humid station in Greece.

Why is this?Apparently bsc of the extremely complex geomorphology of Athens.The mountains of Athens shelter the area very well and the Pindus range far north makes eastern Greece much drier compared to the rest of the country.If anything the coastal areas of Athens are famous for their lack of humidity and even semi-aridity.

If you use the Koppen formulas for Hellenikon then you can see that coastal Athens has a BSh (semi-arid) climate.

In terms of the extremes temperatures again this is not the case so much for Athens.The Athens basin is susceptible to the Foen winds and Elefsina is a prime example of this.

My understanding is that Athens due to its extremely complex geomorphology is one of the first if not the first candidate in Europe to register 50C in the summer and I think in one way this is what the Ministry of Climate Change is also saying about Athens.

Also the studies of the National Observatory of Athens show that Athens within the next few decades might actually reach to the point of having mean max July temps of up to 41C and this is also supported by the London School of Future Studies.

belem

Cumulonimbus
Registo
10 Out 2007
Local
Sintra/Carcavelos/Óbidos
Quite extreme opinions, I would say...
41ºc of July maximum average, for example, is quite optimistic...
Even on the last year, with a summer well above average in Athens, you didn´t got anything close to that.

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
Quite extreme opinions, I would say...
41ºc of July maximum average, for example, is quite optimistic...
Even on the last year, with a summer well above average in Athens, you didn´t got anything close to that.

pessimistic you mean....

the summer (and particularly August) last year was above average only in terms of means not extreme maxes.In terms of extreme maxes we had 48C in 1977 in Elefsina and Tatoi and 47.5C in N.Filadelfia automatic HNMS station in 2007 beating the relevant Spanish and Portuguese national records and at the same time the 3 top temps officially in the European continent.

*Also an unofficial 49.2C and 48.5C in Zografou in eastern Athens in June 2007

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
Lets be more precise, I wasn´t talking about extreme records but about july maximum means.

were u refering to a july mean maximum record though?I would have no clue honestly since HNMS does not publish this kind of stats.

I know that in 2007 Thiseio (which is traditionally weaker than N.Filadelfia in mean maxes) had a 36.5C.Last August 36.2C also August 2003 (or 2006 dont remember) 36.1C and two more July's which i forget the exact years over 36C the past decade or so.

Here are a few for N.Filadelfia from an independent source for 1986-2002

Αντίθετα από το 1986 μέχρι το 2002 είχαμε μέσες μέγιστες θερμοκρασίες υψηλότερες εκτός από τα έτη 1989, 1991, 1992 που ήταν χαμηλότερες. Χαρακτηριστικότερες όλων αυτών του 1988 (36,2) του 1998 (36,0) και του 2002 (36,6).

Generally a tendency of registering mean maxes over 36C the past 20 years or so in Athens.That is how I think the National Observatory of Athens provided their estimates in their research.

belem

Cumulonimbus
Registo
10 Out 2007
Local
Sintra/Carcavelos/Óbidos
were u refering to a july mean maximum record though?I would have no clue honestly since HNMS does not publish this kind of stats.

I know that in 2007 Thiseio (which is traditionally weaker than N.Filadelfia in mean maxes) had a 36.5C.Last August 36.2C also August 2003 (or 2006 dont remember) 36.1C and two more July's which i forget the exact years..

I was refering about a climatic average....
Anyway, that can be applied even for a record year, yes.
Thanks anyway for your sources.
Quite informative.

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
I was refering about a climatic average....
Anyway, that can be applied even for a record year, yes.
Thanks anyway for your sources.
Quite informative.

oh the climatic average!Ok!

I have one from an independent source of 33.6C for N.Filadelfia as the highest in the Athens basin for 50 years (doesnt specify which years).

here you go

Από μετρήσεις της θερμοκρασίας , επί 50 χρόνια, στον μετεωρολογικό σταθμό της Ν. Φιλαδέλφειας προκύπτει μέση μέγιστη θερμοκρασία Ιουλίου, για την περιοχή, 33,6 βαθμούς κελσίου. Η τιμή αυτή, απλώς ενδεικτική ώς κλιματολογικό στοιχείο , μπορεί να θεωρηθεί μέτρο σύγκρισης για το πόσο ζεστός ήταν ο μήνας ενός συγκεκριμένου έτους ή μίας περιόδου

The HNMS site is pretty much the same giving 33.5 for N.Filadelfia from 1955 to 1997.But no data for last 13 years.

I would assume that the climatic average for the N.Filadelfia station for 1981-2010 timeseries would have to be really close to 35C or above.

stormy

Super Célula
Registo
7 Ago 2008
Local
Lisboa
oh the climatic average!Ok!

I have one from an independent source of 33.6C for N.Filadelfia as the highest in the Athens basin for 50 years (doesnt specify which years).

here you go

The HNMS site is pretty much the same giving 33.5 for N.Filadelfia from 1955 to 1997.But no data for last 13 years.

I would assume that the climatic average for the N.Filadelfia station for 1981-2010 timeseries would have to be really close to 35C or above.

Only 33-35º?
I thought those stations would have 35 and plus...
Here in IB peninsula we have a wide area in wich we have 35 and plus 71-00 mean max...and some incredible data of AEMET reaching 39.2º in Fuentes del Madroño ( i think it´s the name..) in jully...although we can consider 37º as the upper limit on wich we have a statisticaly apreciable piece of land reaching those values.

The record mean max in Pt is Amareleja with 38º in aug 2010...in spain ( AEMET main stations) i think is around 38.5º

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
Only 33-35º?
I thought those stations would have 35 and plus...
Here in IB peninsula we have a wide area in wich we have 35 and plus 71-00 mean max...and some incredible data of AEMET reaching 39.2º in Fuentes del Madroño ( i think it´s the name..) in jully...although we can consider 37º as the upper limit on wich we have a statisticaly apreciable piece of land reaching those values.

The record mean max in Pt is Amareleja with 38º in aug 2010...in spain ( AEMET main stations) i think is around 38.5º

33-35C by the sea in Iberia?Highly unlikely i think.This is only found in Greece and maybe Italy.But it is obvious you will have over 35C since there is a huge landmass in Iberia.

At the same time though the characteristic of Athens is that next to the sea it can have these extreme temps.For example if you see the frequency of extreme temps of over 45C in Elefsina which is next to the sea you will be surprised.I think that even Cordoba has managed less than 9 times the last 35 years to reach 45C

19/7/1973 46.0C
10/7/1977 48.0C (European temp record)
23/7/1987 45.0C
27/7/1987 45.2C
03/7/1988 45.0C
24/6/2007 45.8C
26/6/2007 45.6C
27/6/2007 45.0C
25/7/2007 45.2C

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
Just a correction,the temperature in Elefsina on 19/7/1973 was actually 46.4C according to HNMS,so the proper list is

42171210.jpg

http://news.kathimerini.gr/4dcgi/_w_articles_ell_2_08/08/2010_410839

Here you go again

Estado
Fechado para novas mensagens.