Estado
Fechado para novas mensagens.

Mesogiakos

Cirrus
Registo
20 Ago 2012
Local
London
Well it's the first time we have 6 years of full free data for one of the warmest areas in Europe.This is the town of Palaiohora in the SW of Crete.

The annual mean temperature of the National Observatory of Athens station in Palaiohora for the 6 year period 2007-2012 is an amazing 20.7C.

Mind you that the HNMS WMO station of Palaiohora is actually tradionally slightly warmer that the Davis station (PRO2 fan aspirated) of Palaiohora provided by the National Observatory.The annual mean temperature in Palaiohora from HNMS for the relevant period should be even higher and probably close to an amazing 20.8C or 20.9C

I ve looked around other areas in geographical Europe (obviously excluding outer most areas of Spain,Portugal,UK,France,Netherlands etc that are outside geo Europe) and there is no other area for the relevant period to go even close to the Palaiohora annual means.

Take notice of the 26.5C mean minimum for August (!) and especially the summer means.Close to 30.0C for July and August!

Below you can find the data.Only December 2012 is not there.I ll update the table accordingly after the 31st of December 2012.For the time being enjoy the amazing data of South Crete.

Here is the link of the station

http://penteli.meteo.gr/stations/paleochora/

and here you can find all the data of the 217 N.O.A stations network (in Greek only but it's easy to navigate for non speakers)

http://penteli.meteo.gr/meteosearch/

20072012palaiohora.jpg

Mesogiakos

Cirrus
Registo
20 Ago 2012
Local
London
Hmmm...there is nothing on the NOA site.The only info we have it's that it is a Davis fan aspirated.Besides it's not that important.The station seems spot on in terms of temperature accuracy as a Davis fan aspirated station and as I said the WMO station of Palaiohora from HNMS is even slightly warmer.

You can check here the HNMS station for consistency.

http://www.hnms.gr/hnms/english/observation/observation_html?&dr_region=ObsCrete&dr_city=Palaiohora

We had checked it with Ian over in the Ukww forum and we found it pretty consistent.For example yesterday the data from HNMS were 22.8C max 18.7 min and for the NOA station 22.6 max 17.6 min .You can check it daily for yourself to see that the HNMS is actually warmer.I am guessing a mean annual closer to 20.9C from the WMO station for the relevant period...

I know the data might seem surprising for you guys in Portugal,but we are talking about a town in South Crete very very prone to fohn winds.Especially during the summer when the meltemi winds act as constant fohn. South Crete (and Crete in general has a very special climate from place to place due to it's topography).

The data are extremely accurate and correct.No worries.

You can also check it against the other NOA Davis fan aspirated station in Lentas again in South Crete.Here is the output for 2012

Palaiohora

http://penteli.meteo.gr/stations/paleochora/NOAAYR.TXT

Lentas

http://penteli.meteo.gr/stations/lentas/NOAAYR.TXT

Mesogiakos

Cirrus
Registo
20 Ago 2012
Local
London
obviously it's not a climatic average.It's just 6 years of data which gives us a better indication this time of why South Crete is the warmest area in Europe annually

I think it's impressive for Europe's standards.Btw it also beats all the stations in Cyprus as well for the relevant period.

belem

Cumulonimbus
Registo
10 Out 2007
Local
Sintra/Carcavelos/Óbidos
obviously it's not a climatic average.It's just 6 years of data which gives us a better indication this time of why South Crete is the warmest area in Europe annually

I think it's impressive for Europe's standards.Btw it also beats all the stations in Cyprus as well for the relevant period.

Thanks for your data, it´s interesting, but I don´t have a clue about where´s the hottest spot in Europe. Do you have any pictures or more detailed informations about that weather station? In fact, there´s not even 1 scientific (peer reviewed) paper to confirm that´s warmest place in Europe, maybe because there´s not enough weather stations cover to make up such conclusions.

And also the old question about where are exactly the Europe geographical limits in both land and sea (maybe we are thinking in the Eurasian plate??), because that would be another challenge.

Even on the ocean, there are pretty warm areas for european standards due to the Gulf Stream nearly permanent effect.

In fact, I know people who have found much more important things and with solid visible proof, than «where´s the Europe warmest place», but they didn´t released any key points to the public before being sure and publish it somewhere.

In my point of view, maybe it´s better just to stick on «in my opinion» level and «according to the data that I have found», then to try to «sell» your finding as something already proven and without a question...

Anyway, thanks again for the share, honestly I find it cool, though not really impressive and maybe in the future we´ll find out where it´s that place.

Mesogiakos

Cirrus
Registo
20 Ago 2012
Local
London
No worries we can go through this again.

Yes off course we dont know the very exact place of the European hot spot since we dont have stations everywhere.According to the available data we have however this is almost certainly in South Crete.We know for a fact that Palaiohora is the European hot-spot for the period I am quoting and from the station we have in geo Europe.

The station is spot on in terms of accuracy.No worries check my previous post.In fact the WMO station in Palaiohora is even warmer.As for the definition of Europe,well just you and I ll give you few more weather geeks from Portugal or Spain who will insist that any area outside the IP that is a part of Spain or Portugal is ''Europe'' geographically.But even they are isolated and minority opinions even in Portugal and Spain.The general consensus is that all the areas by Spain and Portugal outside IP are not in geo Europe,apart maybe from the Azores (very debatable but let's give it to you). So back in the real world South Crete beats the crap out of any area in geographical Europe and by far.

Enjoy the amazing data of Palaiohora for now which is obviously the warmest area of geo Europe at least for the relevant period according to stations we have.The nearest the IP can go is at least 1C-1.5C less in terms of mean annuals for the relevant period from the stations we have.Hope that about covers everything.

Mesogiakos

Cirrus
Registo
20 Ago 2012
Local
London
The data are ''authentic'' lol.

As I said the Palaiohora station from HNMS which is the official authority of Greece is even warmer.So it's kinda self-defeating from your part dedalus.If you want Palaiohora from HNMS fine by me.It beats the crap out of IP even more :)

I was just posting this bsc they are easier to collect from the NOA site and it can give you a better idea of how much you can cry over South Crete...and yes obviously 6 years is not enough but still it beats the crap out of your beloved IP for that period :)

What ever you do Ferreiro Greece will always haunt you in terms of it's heat!Athens in the summer ,Crete in the winter and annualy.Enjoy now and quit whining, I can even hear you from here crying.

Ferreiro

Nimbostratus
Registo
3 Dez 2010
Local
A Corunha
The data are ''authentic'' lol.

As I said the Palaiohora station from HNMS which is the official authority of Greece is even warmer.So it's kinda self-defeating from your part dedalus.If you want Palaiohora from HNMS fine by me Ferreiro.It beats the crap out of IP even more :)

I was just posting this bsc they are easier to collect from NOA...and yes obviously 6 years is not enough but still it beats the crap out of your beloved IP for that period :)

You said it, :lol:

Mad man!

Mesogiakos

Cirrus
Registo
20 Ago 2012
Local
London
Ok grow up in the meantime and stop trolling.South Crete makes you cry in the night we all know that.Athens also in the summer means.The data are accurate and coupled with HNMS station of Palaiohora which is official gives u even bigger tantrums.

belem

Cumulonimbus
Registo
10 Out 2007
Local
Sintra/Carcavelos/Óbidos
No worries we can go through this again.

Yes off course we dont know the very exact place of the European hot spot since we dont have stations everywhere.According to the available data we have however this is almost certainly in South Crete.We know for a fact that Palaiohora is the European hot-spot for the period I am quoting and from the station we have in geo Europe.

The station is spot on in terms of accuracy.No worries check my previous post.In fact the WMO station in Palaiohora is even warmer.As for the definition of Europe,well just you and I ll give you few more weather geeks from Portugal or Spain who will insist that any area outside the IP that is a part of Spain or Portugal is ''Europe'' geographically.But even they are isolated and minority opinions even in Portugal and Spain.The general consensus is that all the areas by Spain and Portugal outside IP are not in geo Europe,apart maybe from the Azores (very debatable but let's give it to you). So back in the real world South Crete beats the crap out of any area in geographical Europe and by far.

Enjoy the amazing data of Palaiohora for now which is obviously the warmest area of geo Europe at least for the relevant period according to stations we have.The nearest the IP can go is at least 1C-1.5C less in terms of mean annuals for the relevant period from the stations we have.Hope that about covers everything.

Well, so you basically still have no evidence, apart from the scanty data that you have. Ok, I understand your point and the basic problem of it.

This was already discussed before and led us to no conclusion, which only did gave reason to me, unfortunately.

You also take things too nervously and try to make things like a war, Greece vs Italy or Greece vs Iberian Peninsula, which is a really childish behavior in my opinion. And you also evidently provoke people.

That´s not a scientific approach, however you presume that you are presenting things accurately...

I would find interesting if Crete is the warmest place in geographical Europe or compared with well further North continental Iberian Peninsula (if that sounds ok for you) but so far the evidence is clearly not enough.

Continental iberian peninsula, is further north, however the average temperatures can be surprisingly similar, having in mind the geographical differences. I remember that I already had a look on the Uk forum, that was surprised with the small differences between Crete and well further North places in Iberia... But for confirmation I need something more.

Anyone has the average temperatures of Seville for the same period of Palaiohora, for example (let´s say for those 6 years)?

We all know already that there many warmer areas in Iberian Peninsula than Seville, so that it would be interesting to know it.

Anyway, we hope to end this discussion soon, since there´s no point about it.

And yes, even if weather data for the same period can be interesting, the ideal would be to have climatological data.

6 years is nothing compared with it and we all know, that each place has different cold and warm phases.

Mesogiakos

Cirrus
Registo
20 Ago 2012
Local
London
And you on the other hand why do u react on what you perceive is childish on my behalf?Is it because deep down you are reacting equally childish by trying to distort my points?

I have fun playing around with data.If I happen to nag someone,well tough!In fact I love being relentless against Ferreiro.So what?:People can crack a joke from time to time.No biggie

I said myself 6 years is not that big of a deal.It does help however demonstrate better my ''childish'' thesis that in all probability South Crete is the warmest area of Europe.

I am not claiming some kind of pluralistic megalomania of scientific data.In fact just the opposite.I provided what I consider good and accurate data that support my claim without resorting to some academic tantrum.

Estado
Fechado para novas mensagens.