Local mais quente de Portugal ? 50°C é possível ?

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
Anyway: no station in that valley can now becompared to rural station. It is too warm because of the heatisle.

And how is that academically safe to assume for the case of The Observatory station?As you see I have given clear academic evidence of this.Do you have something about this station that I wouldnt know about?

And here is a view of the hill.Look how the observatory overlooks the whole city.So how easily can the UHI affect an area as such and in this altitude?

thiswj.jpg

Vince

Furacão
Registo
23 Jan 2007
Local
Braga
Isn't widely known, but Amareleja had a 46.5ºC many years ago, at 24 July 1995

I also do not believe that Amareleja is the hottest spot in Portugal, IMHO, that spot is somewhere between Barrancos and Moura, probably in the Ardila River. But I also believe that either in Spain or Greece, probably there are also exceptional sites as well, and this discussion is just endless flaming war without having concrete data evidence from specific places.

And with all respect for everyone opinions, even though the Douro valley is exceptional hot on some places, so hot that most people would never realize, IMHO I think it plays in an different B league.

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
Isn't widely known, but Amareleja had a 46.5ºC many years ago, at 24 July 1995

I also do not believe that Amareleja is the hottest spot in Portugal, IMHO, that spot is somewhere between Barrancos and Moura, probably in the Ardila River. But I also believe that either in Spain or Greece, probably there are also exceptional sites as well, and this discussion is just endless flaming war without having concrete data evidence from specific places.

And with all respect for everyone opinions, even though the Douro valley is exceptional hot on some places, so hot that most people would never realize, IMHO I think it plays in an different B league.

But what do you mean hottest?Is it in terms of maximums?Bsc ok in terms of maximums what is the use anyway?

Wouldnt it be more scientifically appropriate to find the area in Portugal that has the highest summer mean temperature?....By the looks of it the minimums in Guidiana are distasterous....Maybe if we go more to the south towards Faro BUT in an area that is much less affected by the sea breeze?Is it possible we will find there the actual hottest part of Portugal in summer long means?

Vince

Furacão
Registo
23 Jan 2007
Local
Braga
Wouldnt it be more scientifically appropriate to find the area in Portugal that has the highest summer mean temperature?....By the looks of it the minimums in Guidiana are distasterous....Maybe if we go more to the south towards Faro BUT in an area that is much less affected by the sea breeze?Is it possible we will find there the actual hottest part of Portugal in summer long means?

Statistical averages are the most important thing, of course, but giving too much importance to extremes, or simply ignore the same extremes is an equal error, can lead to major disasters on climate analysis. Sometimes, either Portugal, Spain, Italy or Greece has extremes that can never be dropped from scientific point of view.

I noticed that this discussion focuses much on means, but averages can in certain circumstances camouflage important things, sometimes can even hide catastrophic things. For example, I can make an average of Portugal seismicity and that seismic analysis completely hide the largest earthquake ever in Europe who was in Portugal (1755). As this topic's about the hottest spots in Portugal, in weather/climate issues, what most affect people's daily routine are not averages, but extremes/statistical outliers.

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
Example: all record for Spain and Portugal from those days or not recognised anymore. 50,5 C in OS Riodades Portugal and 50,0 C in Seville, in 1876 (or so).
And we see this also in the average data. BAdajoz Instituto, INM (AEMET) station. Look at the july max average (record) of 2006: 36,7. In Instituto it was...42,7 C. That is the average maximum of july 1866....and in august 1864 it was 41,0 C! May be in Badajoz they have such an effect also and may be all over Spain and Portugal back then. But I don't think so. Do you?

Sorry I forgot to answer to this.Well is the radiation influences that make those records invalid?How is this non validity linked to the UHI?

For example look what AEMET says officially of the non-validity of the records.It refers strictly to the standards under which those temps were recorded!!

http://www.aemet.es/documentos/es/divulgacion/resumen_efemerides/Resumen_extremos.pdf

aemet.jpg

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
Statistical averages are the most important thing, of course, but giving too much importance to extremes, or simply ignore the same extremes is an equal error, can lead to major disasters on climate analysis. Sometimes, either Portugal, Spain, Italy or Greece has extremes that can never be dropped from scientific point of view.

I noticed that this discussion focuses much on means, but averages can in certain circumstances camouflage important things, sometimes can even hide catastrophic things. For example, I can make an average of Portugal seismicity and that seismic analysis completely hide the largest earthquake ever in Europe who was in Portugal (1755). As this topic's about the hottest spots in Portugal, in weather/climate issues, what most affect people's daily routine are not averages, but extremes/statistical outliers.

Yes indeed it terms of what practically affects people no one can deny that the extremes are number one.

However an analysis of means give a better average prespective in the long run.No one deny the extremeties...but those will always exist (wont they?)

For example the extremities can also hide other important facts.How many people in Europe know that the Attica peninsula in Greece is actually the warmest area on average in the whole continent during the summer?I bet very few...But you know what?This affects the everyday life of 5 million people who live in the Attica peninsula.Imagine the costs in economy and the enviromental damage done just by trying to keep cool 5 million people with their airconditions on day and night!Isnt that important?

If Portugal had a very big city (let say hypothetically Lisbon) with the highest mean summer temps and with tropical nights for 3 months non-stop,wouldnt that affect Portugal,it's economy and life of the people?

Anyhow here is an interesting topic in a UK forum that I also participate (I live in London btw and now in Greece for work related issues)which goes to show how the means actually have great gravity...at least for us here in Athens

It's a daily comparison of the means of the warmest areas of Europe that we know of during the summer : Andalucia and Attica

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=38292&start=81&posts=96

vitamos

Super Célula
Registo
11 Dez 2007
Local
Estarreja
Greetings:

First of all sorry for any language mistake... I’ve to practice my English a little more :)

Let me say that all points of view posted here are interesting, but I think, as in other related topics on this forum, some communication problems are occurring. In fact some of the users are arguing on similar, but not coincident subjects.

Regarding to the initial idea, I think Belem created this topic to talk about maximum temperature on several spots in Portugal, with the pertinent question of the almost mythic barrier of 50ºC… Yes, the average values question is pertinent on climatology and must be discussed, but I think Belem goal with this topic is more related to extreme conditions and maximum temperature in summer months. And I think that is an interesting subject too.

However we all know… Finding those hotspots, and do regular and reliable measures along time is quite a titanic goal to achieve. But is a fascinate challenge! :)

belem

Cumulonimbus
Registo
10 Out 2007
Local
Sintra/Carcavelos/Óbidos
A estação agrometeorológica do Caia ( perto de Elvas) também tem apresentado valores altos:

http://www.cotr.pt/ema.asp?id=1003

Aqui temos uma média de 30,1ºc.

Em relação aos locais mais quentes de Portugal, não se sabe ao certo que valores fazem por lá, pois por variadas razões em Portugal estas zonas nunca foram muito habitadas. Assim, as estações existentes dão uma falsa sensação da realidade.
São vastas e variadas as regiões ainda sem estações meteorológicas.
Já em outros países europeus, parece existir uma cobertura muito maior dessas zonas.

But what do you mean hottest?Is it in terms of maximums?Bsc ok in terms of maximums what is the use anyway?

Infelizmente não temos dados das mínimas perto do Guadiana, por isso é impossível inferir algo a partir daí, apenas se pode teorizar. Contudo temos dados de uma ou outra localidade da Bacia, mas isso já é algo diferente, climaticamente.
As temperaturas mínimas, é algo que depende muito do local.
Já estive em locais com mínimas de 18ºc ( com inversões térmicas) e bastava andar um pouco e apanhar mínimas muito mais altas.
No centro do país, nos vales e encostas sobranceiras ao Tejo Interior, é possível que as mínimas sejam mais altas que o normal, assim como em algumas regiões do Douro, conjugando temperaturas máximas muito elevadas, com mínimas algo altas.
Mas é isso que é interessante estudar/compreender para depois instalar estações meteorológicas.
No interior do Algarve, já observei temperaturas mínimas altas em alguns locais, de facto, mas isso só seria certo com uma maior cobertura meteorológica.

Sanlucar de Guadiana, Espanha a apenas 500 metros do porto de Alcoutim, Portugal ( à mesma altitude sensivelmente), do outro lado do rio:

SANLUCAR DE GUADIANA. 37º28'N. 30 metros de altitud.

Temperaturas: 1967-1987 (21 años).

En.............11'1............74
Fb.............12'1............64
Mr.............14'0............43
Ab.............16'6............35
My.............19'5............23
Jn..............24'4............17
Jl...............27'4.............1
Ag.............27'9.............3
Sp.............25'5.............19
Oc.............20'3.............68
Nv.............15'3.............79
Dc.............11'2.............67

Año...........18'8ºC.........492 mm.

Sei que 21 anos ainda não constituem média climatológica embora já sejam um indício interessante.
Esta zona de Alcoutim, contudo, não me parece que seja a zona mais quente do Vale do Guadiana, em Portugal.

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
Belem Thanks!Very interesting data...21 year is good indication however still the 30 years will give some guarantee.So let's say at face value Guadiana area is the warmest area of Portugal on average during the summer

Here are the data for Athens 1971-2000 for June,July and August

June: 25.5
July:28.0
August:27.7

thiseiosummermeans19712.jpg

belem

Cumulonimbus
Registo
10 Out 2007
Local
Sintra/Carcavelos/Óbidos
Belem Thanks!Very interesting data...21 year is good indication however still the 30 years will give some guarantee.So let's say at face value Guadiana area is the warmest area of Portugal on average during the summer

Here are the data for Athens 1971-2000 for June,July and August

June: 25.5
July:28.0
August:27.7

thiseiosummermeans19712.jpg

A região de Alcoutim é quente, mas não me parece nada que seja a zona mais quente no verão do vale do Guadiana e claro de Portugal.
Dados de 1971-2000 não tenho e estes já foi uma sorte encontrá-los ( Obrigado, Duero).
Obrigado pelos dados de Atenas. :)
Agora uma pergunta a quem saiba: as médias da Amareleja são referentes a que série climática?

mesogeiakos

Cumulus
Registo
10 Ago 2010
Local
London/Athens
A região de Alcoutim é quente, mas não me parece nada que seja a zona mais quente no verão do vale do Guadiana e claro de Portugal.
Dados de 1971-2000 não tenho e estes já foi uma sorte encontrá-los ( Obrigado, Duero).
Obrigado pelos dados de Atenas. :)
Agora uma pergunta a quem saiba: as médias da Amareleja são referentes a que série climática?

Hmm...actually I dont rember exactly the time series.I have seen some data posted in the UK forum above.The only thing I rember was that Amareleja in mean and tmax was cooler compared to Seville

J.S.

Cumulus
Registo
26 Nov 2005
Local
Middelburg, Holanda

I wonder if science knows something like "better" questions as science knows no better, worse etc when it comes to questions to be answered. These are value judgments never to be proven in itself.
If you want to know which place is the warmest on average based on its maxima, it is as valid as any other question you might want an answer to.

The seabreeze is a major factor, but if it is about average high temperatures I am not so sure. I saw that Pinhão in the Douro valley although it gets to 33,5 C as daytime max (1961-1990) it has an average of 25,8 C. So in this case, it could be any valley if you ask me more inland and in fact I'd say in this case the Douro valley further inland is a good point.

In the Guadiana I saw Moura from 1941-1962 at 26,2 C or so...If so, translated to the warmer 1971-2000 period you may add a bit. I'd say above 27,0 will be very hard. To me, Athens is warmer from that perspective. I have little doubt. With or wihtou heatisles.

And on Athens...my point is that it has always been populated and that the Urban heat isles rises very rapidly once buildings and trees (but buildings more) and asphalt roads enter the scene. Some figures: with 1000 people per square kilometer the rise is 1,4 C compared to rural and when it is 7000 it is only 0,6 C more.
Athens has always been a city of some size of course, but much smaller as you have shown in the past. I think it is at least likely that the National Observatory station has had a clear influence and so the study, this one, did not detect more.

What is seriously hampering this study in my view is this:
- They show a trend and have zero comparisons with other stations that were rural all the time. You need that to distinguish between climatic trends and human induced heatisle and comparible trends. I didn't see anything of it.

We cannot know what has caused this trend if we do not know everything about these things.
I also see no explanation as to why the heat isle hasn't kicked in. They look at the trend, compare with other station in the valley and then conclude something.

Another point is that the site specifications are not according to WMO standards aswell. The park is full with trees, there is in no way an open space with a at least 200 m radius where there are no trees (and this might as well be 400 metres, look it up).

In short: this area has human influence written all over it. If you look at WMO guidelines this area is off limits. Really. And just to use a study with no explanation but a lot of assumptions, with no station maintenance records in it (not mentioned) etc you cannot compare this with stations in the country.

Besides: Athens Airport is a good comparison to get some facts. THis is more rural. It is notin the basin, but the mountains clearly indicate it is sheltered, cut of an on its own. Now I amy be wrong, but why is the minimum tempeture year round 1,6 C higher than that of the airport. They are at the same altitude, yet the airport is cooler all year long and all the time 1,6 C or so.
I see no explanation that makes any sense this less sheltered airport would be cooler at night, especially in winter. Apart from a city of that size surrounding a small place just 50 m above it, this is another indication that the station is clearly influenced by city.

If not, what is wrong with MArtinez data? In the stations that are weird, they are so because they show exactly this signature.

Anyway: I find the study seriously lacking, it is not peerreviewed it does not provide clear answers.

To me personally I attach no value for Athens when it comes to an intercomparison with rural stations.

Sevilla airport has this signature also with its exceptional warm nights. 24,0 C is the average to this point in august. Looking at agrometeostation data situated at La Rinconada (7 m height) and Tomejil (also about this height) at 5 and 10 km NNE of the city, we see this. Also added Lora del Rio, same river basin, 47 km ENE from the station, 40m high.

Average min till 11 august 2010:
La Rinconada 20,2
Tomejil 20,9
Lora del Rio: 21,4
Sevilla Tablada: 24,0 C

Average max till 11 august 2010:
La Rinconada: 37,9
Tomejil: 38,1
Sevilla Tablada: 38,5
Lora del Rio: 39,0

SW of the city (Aznalcazar, Lebrija) all note minima of 20,0 C or lower and maxima at about 36,0 C.

Agrometeo station data is not ideal and there are some that measure in yards. Although int the field, yards with trees around it have a similar effect on temperatures especially during daytime.
But the trend is very clear: Sevilla airport is warmer than expected. Also the daytime maxima which are still a bit higher than cities 15-20 km more inland. But the nights, as expected from theory even more.

So how come Guadiana river valley is so cool? Don't know, but things become much smaller if we take Sevilla out of the equation. And we can do so for obvious reasons. For Athens, the same applies. Although I cannot so to what extend.

J.S.

Cumulus
Registo
26 Nov 2005
Local
Middelburg, Holanda
And how is that academically safe to assume for the case of The Observatory station?As you see I have given clear academic evidence of this.Do you have something about this station that I wouldnt know about?

And here is a view of the hill.Look how the observatory overlooks the whole city.So how easily can the UHI affect an area as such and in this altitude?

thiswj.jpg

Sorry, not to be posted