The amazing annual mean temperatures of South Crete

Estado
Fechado para novas mensagens.

AnDré

Moderação
Registo
22 Nov 2007
Local
Odivelas (140m) / Várzea da Serra (930m)
That is what I am asking!!How do u check the Kerinia values month by month from Ogimet?I cant find them.Can u explain the exact path u followed to see the month by month data?

December: http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=17510&ano=2013&mes=1&day=2&hora=0&min=0&ndays=30
November: http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=17510&ano=2012&mes=12&day=2&hora=0&min=0&ndays=30
October: http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=17510&ano=2012&mes=11&day=2&hora=0&min=0&ndays=30
(...)
until January.

Example:
http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=17510&ano=2013&mes=1&day=2&hora=0&min=0&ndays=30

ano means year;
mes means month;
day - it's the first day of 30 days.

You have to play with url until you have all the days of the year.

J.S.

Cumulus
Registo
26 Nov 2005
Local
Middelburg, Holanda
oh pls cry me a river,will u?

btw get ur shit str8 mate.I am not comparing different periods.I only compared 2007-2012 and NOT a single station in Europe beats Palaiohora.Deal with it

As for the rest moaning and groaning spare us.Go cry somewhere else.Unless and until u provide me with the whole study I asked u are just a winning irrelevant out of touch person.I can also say that u are a totally biased,unworthy and unable to provide basic research when asked and most definitely u would fail a first year uni course.Now show me the study or I can also continue the personal criticism that u so much love to bring as an argument in the conversation.

Dont be a cheap crap and give me the data I asked.Until then bow in Southern Crete and cry me a river.

You seem to take things personal. This is about data. I don't trust the Greek data for the reasons I gave. Crete being the warmest place in Europe when it comes to yearly averages is very likely and there are good reasons why this is.

J.S.

Cumulus
Registo
26 Nov 2005
Local
Middelburg, Holanda
The 4 year July mean max for Sparta is 36.3C and for August is 36.2C.You might be right about Guadalquivir but I think Sparta beats any area in Portugal in my opinion.Sparta's 20 year July mean max was 34.5C according to HNMS and that during a decade with very chilly summers in Greece.Sparta should be at least on par or warmer than Seville in terms of summer mean maxes I believe.

I think I once pointed you to Sparta, isn't it? It is an interesting valley. An average of 36,3 or so in the last couple of years is quite possible in Amareleja and other areas. I believe somehwere in 2006 or 2005 they even had that in June. As you have noticed on this site, it is a question what the warmest area in Portugal is because the former IM does not measure in valleys. They only measure above it. SO we do calculations etc but you cannot be sure. I have sen several maps that indicate an average july/august max somewhere between 35,5 and 37,5 C over the 1961-1990 period. I tend to think that both figures are quite high, although 35 C is on par with Sevilla over the same period and Sevilla is open to winds from the sea, while the nearby Portuguese stations in the Guadiana vallye and Chanca valey are not or far less so.

They are mentioned in one book about Portuguese climatology I have and the other one is a calculation ff an IM study.

There are a lot of ifs. I have already suggested to some to install a station at a farmer, in open terrain as low as we can get with a calibrated datalogger and a Vaisala nonventilated screen. I can build the Vaisala myself as I have done already. But people here do not respond, and arranging this from the Netherlands is difficult.

Meanwhile I am doing this succesfully in my own part of the Netherlands, where I operate several stations (2 now, a third one this month and a fourth and fifth this years). As a sidenote: I dod this to measure incoming seabreezes and absolute minima which can swing wildly in this lowlying country. For instance: I had -17,2 last february where the two nearby KNMI stations had -10,3 and -11,0. Another one a bit furthr away (40 km) had
-17,8. All you need to do is simply mail asmany people with a suitable measuring field> one responds and you install a station. Not that difficult. But may be Portugal is a bit different. People over here ar very interested in the weather. Went yesterday to the new site and the guy living there always checks the pluviometer and thermometers first thing in the morning for example (his wife told me so)..

belem

Cumulonimbus
Registo
10 Out 2007
Local
Sintra/Carcavelos/Óbidos
Regarding the averages for highs the warmest month, in Portugal continental, is not calculated to be between 35-37,5ºc (according to different regions) for 60-90 period... According to that study, that´s the average for 3 warmest months of the year, so the average for the warmest month, has to be higher than that (on the same period).

We basically only have data from the fresher areas, that are not located on the warmest lowlands, like one Moura station, which did had (between 1941-1963), 34,8ºc on average for July and 34,5ºc on average for August.

Mesogiakos

Cirrus
Registo
20 Ago 2012
Local
London
Pretty sure Sparta (and Sivas in S.Crete for that matter) beat any station around Moura.Any data for the last 4 years around Moura to see how it compares with Sparta's 36.3C in July or 36.2C in August?

belem

Cumulonimbus
Registo
10 Out 2007
Local
Sintra/Carcavelos/Óbidos
Pretty sure Sparta (and Sivas in S.Crete for that matter) beat any station around Moura.Any data for the last 4 years around Moura to see how it compares with Sparta's 36.3C in July or 36.2C in August?

Do you have data about the same period (1941-1963), from Sparta?

And let´s remember that Moura is on a plain, not on a valley lowland.

stormy

Super Célula
Registo
7 Ago 2008
Local
Lisboa

Mesogiakos

Cirrus
Registo
20 Ago 2012
Local
London
Do you have data about the same period (1941-1963), from Sparta?

And let´s remember that Moura is on a plain, not on a valley lowland.

No but the 34.5C in Sparta was for only 20 years with a decade of very cold summers.Plus dont forget that in neighboring Ladonas 35.1C was the climatic normal. Let's not beat around the bushes here.I havent found any area in Portugal the last 4 years we have data for Sparta to even go close.

Sparta has a unique topography and the mountains help even more with the constant foehn they provide.Actually both Sparta and the Messara valley in South Crete would give hell to any area in Portugal in my understanding.If we had something potentially close to Sparta in Portugal we would have found it by now.I can even accept private fan aspirated stations anywhere in the country the last 4 years just for the sake of research.Tbh I think u wont find anything.We would have picked it up by now.Told u that both Sparta and the Messara valley are difficult ones to beat.Plus dont forget that the station in Sparta is situated at 204 meters altitude.In my opinion the only areas in Europe outside the IP to give Seville a run for it's money is the valley of Sparta and the Messara valley and quite possibly some areas in the Catania plains in Sicily.That's the best u will find outside IP to go head on with Seville but I believe Sparta is the strongest of them all and the only one to make the urban Seville area fret.I am gonna wait a couple more years to see how the urban Davis fan aspirated stations in Seville and Sparta continue to behave but so far and at least for the last 2 years that we have data from both Sparta beats Seville for the whole summer trimester.

Here is a quick reminder of Sparta's mean maxes the last 4 years that the station is recording.

July

2009 36.1
2010 34.8
2011 36.0
2012 38.3

August

2009 34.4
2010 37.2
2011 35.7
2012 37.3

Plus from a laographic point of view and due to the rich history of Sparta we have had some very interesting tips from Ancient Greek historians,geographers etc on Sparta's brutal summers.Herodotus for example speaks of scorching Spartan summers.Some authors mention that the Spartan heat was too much even for the mighty Spartan warriors while others suggested that Spartans were forcing the little boys to practice to become excellent warriors and wrestle mid day in the mid summer unbearable Spartan heat.

Mesogiakos

Cirrus
Registo
20 Ago 2012
Local
London
Remember that our climate has warmed up some 1-2ºC since the 40´s/50´s

Oh trust me you dont want to mess with Greece's warming the last decades.Especially the last 15 years.The summer stats are off the charts.You must know that.I stress it all the time.

Hell even in the center of Athens in July according to the official WMO station the mean maximum for 1981-2010 is 34C exactly,not to mention the notorious Nea Filadelfeia suburb.

If Athens manages a 34C mean max the last 30 years then I am pretty sure the Sparta valley will give us some very interesting values.

belem

Cumulonimbus
Registo
10 Out 2007
Local
Sintra/Carcavelos/Óbidos
Oh trust me you dont want to mess with Greece's warming the last decades.Especially the last 15 years.The summer stats are off the charts.You must know that.I stress it all the time.

Hell even in the center of Athens in July according to the official WMO station the mean maximum for 1981-2010 is 34C exactly,not to mention the notorious Nea Filadelfeia suburb.

If Athens manages a 34C mean max the last 30 years then I am pretty sure the Sparta valley will give us some very interesting values.

Here it´s warming up too.

belem

Cumulonimbus
Registo
10 Out 2007
Local
Sintra/Carcavelos/Óbidos
No but the 34.5C in Sparta was for only 20 years with a decade of very cold summers.Plus dont forget that in neighboring Ladonas 35.1C was the climatic normal. Let's not beat around the bushes here.I havent found any area in Portugal the last 4 years we have data for Sparta to even go close..

Even Amareleja weather station, which is situated on the Morena moutain range, inside a forest, has close values to those ones. We should remember that altitude isn´t everything, exposition (etc...) is also very important.
Moura values were measured when the climate was colder than nowadays and on a plain. However, it are nearly equal to present day Sparta and Ladonas.
So do your maths.

Sparta has a unique topography and the mountains help even more with the constant foehn they provide.Actually both Sparta and the Messara valley in South Crete would give hell to any area in Portugal in my understanding.If we had something potentially close to Sparta in Portugal we would have found it by now.I can even accept private fan aspirated stations anywhere in the country the last 4 years just for the sake of research.Tbh I think u wont find anything.We would have picked it up by now.Told u that both Sparta and the Messara valley are difficult ones to beat.Plus dont forget that the station in Sparta is situated at 204 meters altitude.In my opinion the only areas in Europe outside the IP to give Seville a run for it's money is the valley of Sparta and the Messara valley and quite possibly some areas in the Catania plains in Sicily.That's the best u will find outside IP to go head on with Seville but I believe Sparta is the strongest of them all and the only one to make the urban Seville area fret.I am gonna wait a couple more years to see how the urban Davis fan aspirated stations in Seville and Sparta continue to behave but so far and at least for the last 2 years that we have data from both Sparta beats Seville for the whole summer trimester...

Ok, it´s your opinion and I respect it.
AFAIK, Seville annual averages, were already beaten close to Alcoutim (Portugal). And there are clearly warmer areas in Portugal (so may the same happen in Spain).
I have some more interesting data to put here, that not only lead us to the clear conclusion that Portugal has a big lack of data on its warm areas but also that it are well worth to being investigated on the future, because fresh areas, already give us interesting values.

Here is a quick reminder of Sparta's mean maxes the last 4 years that the station is recording.

July

2009 36.1
2010 34.8
2011 36.0
2012 38.3

August

2009 34.4
2010 37.2
2011 35.7
2012 37.3

Plus from a laographic point of view and due to the rich history of Sparta we have had some very interesting tips from Ancient Greek historians,geographers etc on Sparta's brutal summers.Herodotus for example speaks of scorching Spartan summers.Some authors mention that the Spartan heat was too much even for the mighty Spartan warriors while others suggested that Spartans were forcing the little boys to practice to become excellent warriors and wrestle mid day in the mid summer unbearable Spartan heat.

Interesting information!
I like Greece and its history.
Many, many thanks. :)

Estado
Fechado para novas mensagens.